Author Topic: problem with scenery library  (Read 5224 times)

Carl100

problem with scenery library
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
I am installing the new object libraries and now my scenery library looks like this: I do not have any of the names of the scenery after the new RMM objects.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: problem with scenery library
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
Do a search for Scenery.cfg on your system and open it in Notepad. You should see a list of all of your installed scenery, and it should look something like this:

[General]
Title=FS9 World Scenery
Description=FS9 Scenery Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Local=Scenery\World
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Layer=2
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

And so on, which are your scenery base layers. If you don't see things in this format then somehow your scenery.cfg file got corrupted somehow. I have to admit, I've never seen this problem before.

Post back if your scenery.cfg doesn't follow this format.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Carl100

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
Steve,  I think it looks like the one you showed me.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »
if you look at the entries in your scenery.cfg file that are missing titles, do you find that they are missing the "Title=" line for each entry?  Or if the "Tile=" is there, is the rest of the text there or is it missing for those entries that are not displaying?

Rod

Carl100

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
Rod,  I don't know if I am looking in the right file.  but looks like "Title=" and text is there.

Carl100

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
I think I have a mess!

Carl100

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »
I guess the only way to fix this is to add the area name to each area.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
FSX has been known, once in awhile, to randomly erase the Scenery titles if a certain combo of things happen though I have never seen anyone document the sequence  that might cause it.  If you have a back up scenery.cfg you might use that.  Another way is to delete each scenery that is missing a title and then add it in again.  Or you could manually fill a title in for each of the missing titles....

Rod

Carl100

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:46:50 AM »
Thanks for the help.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »
Red triangles usually mean, in my experience, that the path pointing to your scenery files is wrong. If you click on "edit area" and then browse to the scenery area on your drive does it point to the right location entered in the "path to scenery" box?

I just noticed that your scenery.cfg is located on your desktop. In the case of Win 7 and FSX, It should be located in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. That's where FSX looks for it.

Move it to where it should be and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:34:33 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Carl100

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
That was just a copy I was looking at.

Carl100

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »
Sorry, but have another question.  Look at #452 & 453.  Which way should I add the scenery area name.  Thanks again.  I think this problem came with an Orbx update.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
Using Scenery Cfg Editor I removed a scenery name from an entry to see if it would generate n error; it didn't. All it does is remove the name which apparently doesn't matter. Therefore it says to me that your problem must be that the pointers to all of your scenery locations have somehow been corrupted or that somehow your addon scenery or ORBX folder(s) got moved to a different place or have been inadvertently deleted. (Hard to imagine, but stranger things have happened.) Browse your FSX folder structure to see if this might be the case.

Just to see what happens another thing to try would be to move your scenery.cfg file out of the default location and exchange it for the  default scenery.cfg in the root of the FSX folder. Does this generate an error?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:26:13 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Kind of weird. Maybe you should refer to my "Do You Believe in Ghosts" post. How did this come about, Carl? Did you just turn on the computer one day and it was hosed up? What version of Windows are you running? Has there been a recent Windows Update? Notorious culprit for anomalies. If so I'd try a System Restore to a time before any updates and see what happens.

I run Win7 Pro 64 and a week or so ago, while using Office 2003 Pro, sentences started  highlighting themselves for no apparent reason. Then the page became unusable. Sure enough, a Windows Update had occurred that very day. Restore fixed the problem and that's the last Windows Update I'll ever do. Just a thought.

jsapair
Jsapair

BBQSteve

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
From the extent of the errors, it looks to me like his disk drive has been changed to another drive letter. Have you changed out drives?

Just noticed that the file you think is your scenery.cfg file is the default NewScenery.cfg of Scenery Config Editor program. Check to see what your real "scenery.cfg file has configured.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:46:17 AM by BBQSteve »