Author Topic: RTMM Legacy Collection  (Read 5377 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
RTMM Legacy Collection
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »
Just wanted to say a few words about the RTMM Legacy Collection.
It was conceived as a quick way to let new RTMM members add several scenery location quickly and begin enjoying the scenery ASAP.
It does this fine but be aware that it was last updated in July 2014.  The scenery locations in the Legacy Collection are not up to date IF any individual location has been updated/upgraded since 2014, and many have been.  There are no sound files etc. with the Collection and must be downloaded and added if you want sound etc. with the locations.
The real difficulty is installing all the required Libraries and ORBX software that must be done before any RTMM scenery is installed including the Legacy Collection.  I would strongly recommend that forgoing the old outdated Legacy Collection would be the wisest way to start you RTMM adventures.
 8)
Later,

Spud

tgarner

Re: RTMM Legacy Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Hi Spud, 

If not the Legacy Collection, where would you suggest someone start their RTMM adventure? Thank you for your suggestions.

Terry G.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
After obtaining and installing all the required software.  I would start with Misty's Place simply because it is the center of RTMM.
Once that's working unless your absolutely interested with a particular Alaskan area I would simply start with the first location Aiken Creek Camp and work through all the scenery.  Don't just download it but actually fly the scenery and experience RTMM as its meant to be.

At the top of the Scenery Page there are various downloads and suggestions that need to be heeded like the link to "Getting Started" which explains how to set everything up on your computer for best results.
Of course there are missions and sail plans, enhancements of all kinds.  All in all I think you will find that RTMM is one of the most extensive freeware FSX/P3D scenery collections on the web.  Just dive on in and explore the RTMM Site.  Shouldn't take more than several months to discover all that it there for your enjoyment.
 8)
Later,

Spud

tgarner

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice Spud.

Terry G.
 8)

Todd

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »
 Hi I just downloaded the RTMM Legacy Collection and Was looking at the Aiken Creek Camp scenery and like you said has sound so I will be downloading that. My question is how do I know if the scenery itself has been updated.

Todd W.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
I might not be the best one to answer your question directly, but there is an Aiken Creek scenery location in the Scenery section that's dated 6/21/14, which is within a day of the date of Aiken Creek in the legacy Collection, so you would in all likelihood have the most recent version of AC.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:26:39 PM by ualani »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Todd

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »
Yea I checked the date of mine and yes they are the same. Thanks Steve.

Todd W.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:43:38 AM »
Right now, it has been updated. But we are very close to eliminating the Legacy series just for that reason. If we make update changes, then the whole package has to be updated, and it is redundant.  With the new GoTo table helping people find scenery to download, and with the changes coming to the Getting Started page, Legacy will probably not be used. Our emails tell us it is a good 'starter' but later it causes problems when people start downloading other sceneries.

Doug

FalconAF

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
I would have to agree with getting rid of any references and downloads to the "Legacy" stuff.  It confused the heck outta me for the first few days I was here.  It is WAY to easy to see a "suggestion" on one page to "download the legacy if you are a new RTMM user", then NOT see the "warning" on a different page until later that tells you the Legacy stuff may not be the CURRENT scenery.

I also agree that a new user should start with the Mistys Place download, as it is the "center location" for the entire Misty Moorings experience.  And in THAT regard, here is what I think we should do for the totally new RTMM user.......

Create a PACKAGE DOWNLOAD for Mistys Place a new user could download.  One that contains ALL the OTHER sceneries used with Mistys Place, flight plans, masps, etc.  Something like the CIRP, SIRP, Medical Facilities "packages" that include the appropriate sceneries used with Mistys Place.  There aren't that many to compile together for one download package.  But have something like....

"Welcome to Misty Moorings.  We recommend you download the Mistys Place Package to get you started experiencing our scenery.  You will have Mistys Place and several other locations to fly to/from, with the included flight plans, maps, and all the scenery locations needed.  It is our Misty Moorings "starter" package for new RTMM users, and will allow you to get accustomed to using our Return To Misty Moorings sceneries.  One download for one part of our RTMM experience, all in one place."

The above makes even more sense than recommending a new user download the "Missing Cabins" as one of their first downloads.  If they download the cabins first, they still have to go download quite a few other separate sceneries before they have all the flying locations to fly to/from all the cabins.  A "Mistys Place Package" download would contain some of the cabins already for a new RTMM user.

Just my thoughts.   ;)

Doug

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
I worked on the GETTING STARTED page again today. You can see me shifting to the GoTo table for people. It is actually designed for the beginners. Their first installation should be Misty's Place and there is a step by step install procedure for it now on GETTING STARTED.  That should get folks pointed in the right direction.

You can see me highlighting the "GROUPS" on the GETTING STARTED page. You are right, if people only download the Missing Cabins ... they'll have over 200 (220) locations to fly to.

The reason I'm going to go with "single" download of Misty's Place, like Legacy, if people have downloaded those locations, they really don't know they have them. So if they bring them down one at a time, getting used to the GO TO Table and the process, their Scenery Library will tell them what they have or need. With Legacy, you couldn't tell.

Its beginning to come together to make things simpler for the beginners.

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
"Create a PACKAGE DOWNLOAD for Mistys Place a new user could download.  One that contains ALL the OTHER sceneries used with Mistys Place, flight plans, masps, etc.  Something like the CIRP, SIRP, Medical Facilities "packages" that include the appropriate sceneries used with Mistys Place.  There aren't that many to compile together for one download package.  But have something like....

"Welcome to Misty Moorings.  We recommend you download the Mistys Place Package to get you started experiencing our scenery.  You will have Mistys Place and several other locations to fly to/from, with the included flight plans, maps, and all the scenery locations needed.  It is our Misty Moorings "starter" package for new RTMM users, and will allow you to get accustomed to using our Return To Misty Moorings sceneries.  One download for one part of our RTMM experience, all in one place."

The question about putting multiple scenery locations into a single package comes up all the time and it simply won't happen for numerous reasons. Not the least of which would be the monumental task of updating them every time something is updated or changed in any of the files (as is the case with the outdated info in the Legacy files! Can you imagine what it would be like trying to keep track of a whole bunch of different collections?)

The Legacy Collection was an old idea used when RTMM was much smaller than it is today and Doug plans to phase it out at some point. To quote our policy detailed on the Here2There page:

"We do not have a single download package for all the RTMM scenery locations. Those are for the "scenery collectors" ... and that is not what we are about."

This policy also applies to any combined scenery packages in any form. Sorry.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Todd

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
Some good advice guys thanks! I think now I am going to delete the Legacy collection before I get too deep into it I will just download individual scenery as I need it. Also I noticed their is more info in the individual scenery downloads compared to the Legacy collection that only is the scenery. Thanks again guys!

Todd W.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »
Todd, let the new GoTo table help you make your selections. It won't let you down, a perfect tool for the quest.

Doug

FalconAF

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:04 PM »
Ahh, OK.  The no packages for Mistys make more sense to me now.  Was brainstorming, but lost sight of the concept of RTMM.   :(

Todd

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
I get it now.

Todd W.