Author Topic: Unwanted Win10 Installation  (Read 6052 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Unwanted Win10 Installation
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:08:16 AM »
Woke up this morning with a 'Welcome to Win10' splash screen. I run Win7 and intend to keep it that way. That little flag icon has been lurking in the system tray for some time. Apparently Win10 is now a recommended, scheduled update and will install whether you want it or not...if you downloaded the updates...KB3035583 and KB2976978.
   In my case I just declined the license agreement which reverted me back to Win7. But, the flag icon was back in the system tray, poised to do its little dirty deed again. I spent hours researching this. If you have that flag icon in your system tray then MS has 4GB worth of hidden files just waiting to install Win10 on your machine.
   Here's what I finally came up with. A free app called GWX Control Panel. These people hate MS even more than I do, if that's possible. It shows you all the Win10 related files it found and gives you the option to delete them. Gets rid of the icon and prevents Win10 from ever installing on your machine...including future MS Win10 Updates that MS will no doubt have forthcoming. Keep that in mind if you think you may want Win10 in the future on the same machine.
   It also shows you how you have your Windows Updates configured so you can change it to Notify me of Updates but let me choose.
   I would recommend running the app even if you only have the Win10 flag icon, 'cause if you have that then MS already has the hidden installation files on your machine. I was real impressed with this little tool. Go here and choose GWX Control Panel

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I find it ironic that a company who preaches against malware and spyware is guilty of perpetrating the same tactics on its own customers. Hope this is useful to somebody.

jsapair
Jsapair

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Unwanted Win10 Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
I have Win 10. Im wondering if this app will allow me to KNOW and accept or reject a WIN 10 update. Before, we had control, it notified us and we could download it when we wanted, or not. Now, right in the middle of running the sim, suddenly it chunks to 6 fps...an update has arrived.  Really bad when you are streaming with an audience. I don't mind the updates, but I do mind not having control of when they happen. I'll look into this one. Maybe it is a solution?  Thank you.

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
Doug,
after you do the research come back and tell us if the utility will inform you that 'updates' are available but wait for your input prior to installing them.  WIN 10 seems to love to change things helter skelter with some updates and it would be nice if you could just have em' wait til your ready to install them like you say.
 >:(
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:31:49 AM »
Well, there is a button on it like the old button we used to see ... basically "let me know there is an update and I will decide."  I clicked on that button.  Now I wait to see what happens. But it "looks" like it might work.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »
Still hesitant to run the utility as I have WIN 10 already installed and wonder what it would do to that installation.? Unless you can pick just the item for Update control separately.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
I have it installed. Put it in, checked the option to notify me for updates....waiting now for the first update. But it went in fine with WIN 10.

jsapair

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »
I don't know, guys, but if you are already running Win10 wouldn't the normal 'Notify Me and let me Choose' option suffice? You can do that through Control Panel without this program. If you have Win10 you would probably want Win10 updates I would think. This program is designed to delete Win10 installation files and alert you if MS tries to re-insert Win10 installation files through future Updates. I just don't want someone to screw something up in their OS who are already running Win10. So tread lightly.

jsapair
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »
Nope...one of the latest "user UNfriendly" aspects of Win 10... You get no choice of being updated...and a bigger problem is WHEN...they can send it to you at anytime. Control of that is no longer in the control panel.  But the program you pointed to gives that option back, I think. I want the updates, but I want to choose when they install. So they don't chunk me when I'm doing something.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
I tried Win10 a while back.  After 16 failed install attempts, and some tweaking, I finally got it to install.  Once installed, it seemed like a social media platform, rather than an operating system.  So I rolled back to Win7.  Since then, whenever I go into "Windows Update", instead of telling me which updates are available for Win7, I get a  red message that "Windows 10 failed to install", and would I like to try again?  It has been half a year since then.  Yesterday I opened windows update, and there was the red message about windows 10's failed install.  I had to manually tell it to search for updates, which took hours to complete.  I don't know how long, as after 2 hours I went to bed.  When I woke up there were 42 updates to install, and an optional update to "install Windows 10".  That was the only one of the 42 which was already check-marked.  I did a search through the offered updates to make sure none were "sneaking win10 in the back door".  I unchecked the one, and checked all the others, which were security and system updates.  Then I "hid" the one for Win10, with the rest of the Win10 installers from the past.  I pressed "OK" to commence the process, and a mere 2 hours later, it is finished.  Two hours to download and apply updates.  That is sad.   :( 
The way Microsoft is handling the rollout of Win10 feels bad.  Why not just offer it as the next operating system, and let us decide?  I don't like being herded like sheep into the pen for slaughter.  I like to feel I am in control of the software in my computer.  ( and not have sheep dogs nipping at my heals to bully me into submission.)  If I opt out of Win10, why does the computer not reflect that?  My Win7 now says "recovered", after the rollback.  And I had to manually remove the Win10 installware, and prevent it from sneaking back in during "Windows updates."  They make flags for all kinds of events.  Surely they can remember that I prefer Windows 7, since I did the rollback and opted out of the upgrade?

I just want my Win7 "Windows Update" program to be normal again.  Not chastise me for not having Win10 installed.

Rant over.   ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
Jeff,
failed WIN10 installs plagued me until Dylan in an ORBX site post found the solution.  There is some kind of TODO file that interferes with WIN10 installation.  I deleted that and install completed.
Here is a link to the thread and Post #67 is the magic number for the location of the dastardly culprit.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100907-windows-10-installation/?page=2

8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
Windows 10 is a little tricky. Mine is "mostly" running smoothly now. I have one problem that happens now and then when Active Sky Next is running, but I'm basically happy with the new setup.  I only went to 10 because I was getting this new computer, new everything on it, so I started from scratch, that included the new windows 10.  So I didn't "convert" or upgrade, I went at it with a Win 10 disk.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
Jeff,
failed WIN10 installs plagued me until Dylan in an ORBX site post found the solution.  There is some kind of TODO file that interferes with WIN10 installation.  I deleted that and install completed.
Here is a link to the thread and Post #67 is the magic number for the location of the dastardly culprit.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100907-windows-10-installation/?page=2

8)

Hi Spud,
     Ha, ha, ... for a minute there, I thought you were suggesting I try again.  Yes, I did catch the TODO fix, and that worked for me.  I took Win10 out for a test drive, around the block and down a country lane.  I tried to make it acceptable, but failed.  I don't like it, and I rolled back to Win7, which I do like.  It works just fine, most of the time.
     If it ain't broke ...!  The rant was about windows nagging me, after the rollback.  They took over my windows update screen to remind me every time I open it that "Windows 10 couldn't be installed".  It didn't "fail to install", I uninstalled it myself and rolled back to Win7.  There is a difference.

This is what I get when I go to "check for updates".  BTW, I just took this screenie a minute ago.  It is always like that, and I have to go around it by clicking the check for updates button manually.  Oh, I forgot to say, I only went to windows update, because I got a notification that new updates were available.  But when I get to the page, they don't show.  Only this red warning.  WTF?

Hi Doug,
     Normally I like to stay on the cutting edge, with the latest updates for everything and newest hardware etc.  (I just bought an HTC Vive VR headset.)  But Windows 10 feels dirty to me, and I don't trust the motives of Microsoft.  They are too socially orientated as an operating system.  There are plenty of social media outlets already, I don't want it mixed into my computer's operating system.  I personally hate advertising, and see it as a form of pollution, or garbage.  Like discarded newspapers blowing down the street.  My computer doesn't need to know where I am, or which websites I visit most often.  That's my personal business.  They can't have my contacts list, credit card info, or other such stuff either. 
     They could have offered the social media components as an optional package.  Then people who want that could get it separately.  (like office, word, paint, etc.)  I am not social, and am repulsed by the idea of chat rooms and webcams everywhere I go. 
     Boy, something's got me wound up today.  Sorry for the editorial opinions, but I do feel strongly about the subject.  That's all, folks!   :-[ :o :-X ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:11:26 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
Jeff...run this program if you are sure you don't want Win10. Matter of fact I believe there is a link to go to if you run the program and decide you do want Win10 in the future. I didn't go there 'cause I want Win10 to just go away. And it has.

jsapair
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I've just downloaded and installed the GWX Control Panel.  Checking it out now.  ;)  It may solve my windows update dilemma.  :P

EDIT:  I'm back.  I had all kinds of Win10 junk on my system, and I didn't know it.  I pushed the buttons till it said "I appear to be clean!".  No traces of Windows 10 found on my system.  Now the GWX is monitoring my system for any sneak attacks.  I feel safer already. 

Thanks Js.   8)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:00:34 PM by jeff3163 »

jsapair

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:57:07 AM »
Right on Jeff, that's what I like to hear. Sweet little program. MS sucks.
Jsapair