Author Topic: VfrFlight - Flightplanner  (Read 7256 times)

Dieter

VfrFlight - Flightplanner
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:50:16 AM »
I would like to draw your attention to a pretty new free tool for VFR flight planning called "VfrFlight".
Meanwhile in version 2.05
http://vfrflight.org/en/index.html

This is another complex flight planning tool and in strong competition with PlanG. Different  kind of maps are selectable, even the well known "Skyvector" VFR-maps after doing a small modification.
Flight path of course is displayed.
The use of this software needs a certain familiazation i.e. working through the manual.

The software also allows the import of the well known "userwaywaypoints" (PlanG style)

I might present two screenshots:

1.  CRM area and imported flight plan (Virtual Earth Map)
2. CRM area and imported flight plan (Skyvector)
3 PJF area with imported userwaypoints:

Granduc Mine Airstrip
Granduc Mine Area
Salmonier Glacier
Premier Gold Mine
Soule Glacier
Cambria Icefield

Click for bigger size:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GTac

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:05:24 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
Re: VfrFlight - Flightplanner
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:26:52 AM »
Yes good day

i use it since last year, it's a nice appli more élaborate than PlanG 

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
Interesting.   Thanks, Dieter!

Rod

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
I'm going to give it a try. With my computer, P3D and Win 10 all getting along nicely, I don't have any aggravations. :-) thank you for the info.

Doug

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
Sounds very interesting. Thank you , Dieter.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
Well, Aggravation is what I was looking for, got it! :-)   Working through it, very dif from Plan G.  I like some of the features but still haven't got my first route constructed.  Fun to work with new things.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
I have mostly SSD drives, with one "other" kind of drive. So I had to install there as it recommends not to put the working file on an SSD. No biggie. But when I save a flight, it goes to that other drive. I can point it at my P3D document folder, and it "looks" like it is there, but the flight planner won't find it and load it. If I put it on the working drive, the same pln file shows up then works fine.

The info on the map is MUCH BETTER than Plan-G. You can quickly grab ILS frequencies, etc by checking the "info under mouse curser" option.  Also you can use a ruler (turn on an off) which gives you direction and distance to any point on the map without having to open another window (Plan G "info" panel).  You can put many "kinds" of maps up, changing on the fly. If you see a road and want to know what it is, you put up the MapQuest map, if you are looking at a lake, you can use the satellite hybrid.  Bottom line, many options on the maps.

I get a 404 on the forum, maybe it just isn't "up" today.

Dieter

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
@Doug,

I'm in contact with the author. Yes, the forum is closed at the moment after it was flooded with spam some days ago. He will reopen his forum later after involving some more spam protection.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 01:25:35 PM »
Update ...

OK a real difference is is exporting/importing.  You go to the FlightPlan tab and export to P3D or FSX from that tab, not the "File" tab.  Still haven't got the cvs files imported yet.

Update .. to put in the CSV files:

Go to User Points Tab
Import for CSV
Change file type to CSV
Select the Csv file and click on the import button
You have to do it for each one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:44:25 PM by Doug »

Dieter

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 03:40:04 AM »
FYI
The VfrFlight forum is open again!

http://vfrflight.org/forum/
Many greetings
Dieter

Doug

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:06:28 AM »
Got registered just fine. This , to me, is looking like a great product. I got all of your data points in just fine. I'm flying VFR with Global in the eastern USA with the Cessna 172. Just taking a break. This tool is fun to use during the flight, using the different maps. I use XPOI, but by using MapQuest you know what little town you are seeing. Most of rivers and other features are listed in hybrid map. It is still not intuitive for me, new programs need getting used to. There is a lot to explore with this one. Working next on more detailed planning, adding my own waypoints, etc. the altitude ribbon is easy to use, well done showing the altitude and where you are in the route for that altitude. I think there are some things that could be added to the manual. Making notes.

Doug

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »
Dieter ... have you been able to bring any of the RTMM flight plans? I'm doing:

1. Flightplan
2. Import From
3. FSX/P3d
4 (Data will be lost) Yes
5. I pick a plan
6. Import from FSX/P3D
Result
(Red X) Error occured during file Import (OK)

Can't get any of the pln files to import

Doug

I'm betting the "performance" (airplane type) isn't in the data set, so it's getting an error.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:55:36 AM by Doug »

Dieter

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
Yes, no problem.
The "secret" is: You have to delete the "#" in flightplan name.
Many greetings
Dieter

Doug

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
OK, that 'splains it. Will do. I'll answer my own question over on their forum.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Here's the "Virtual Earth Hybrid" map you can use in VFRF ... there is a lot of VFR type information on the map. Notice the large 1 with a small 4 beside it. That means that area it is safe to fly at 1400 feet. Using this map format, you can see then names of the things out your window very easily.  Flight planning, in our Alaska areas with mountains and fjiords, is VERY EASY using this map, you can make a route right down a valley very easily.

As Dieter says in the above post, our "prefixes" for "to and from" (# and =) are not accepted. So if you want to use one of those with VFRF, you have to remove the # or the =. 

Doug