Author Topic: GOT R' DUN!  (Read 5298 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
GOT R' DUN!
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
Well all my RTMM scenery is back in the FSX Library (178 entries) now my mouse is smoking and my fingers blistered.  Took off from Misty's Place, (where else) after checking that the cooler was well stocked with the free beer the newbie's have provided while I was down.  Good to see the windjammer on the rocks and all the small details and scenery along the shoreline.
Now I can start the arduous task of catching up with all the new goodies.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: GOT R' DUN!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »
Congratulations!  Welcome back!   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
Yay!

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
Excellent news.

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »
Good for you, Spud. What a major PITA!
Jsapair

av8erjm

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
OOOORAH, never a doubt, proving anything can be done given enough money n' time

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »
Great news!  :)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
Well, Spud. In what I can only assume is a hardware conspiracy my hard drive just crashed...catastrophic failure...with no BU. And bad sectors prevented me from backing it up. Ualani's trying to help me out with software he has but it looks like I'll be starting over. Didn't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
Well spit!!!!
Hi Ho Silver.........Away!
Later,

Spud

roundrobin

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
Spud,
We all live with the fear of having to start from scratch. It is so much work to reload it all. I keep back ups of back ups and yet with the registry governing everything, starting from scratch is usually the best way to go.
Every time we click this stupid computer on/off, there are no guarantees. Same as us, I guess!

al

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:35:21 AM »
Well flying up here: everybody needs the RTMM part to really see this part of the world. Welcome back into the air.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
Backup are a wonderful thing to have as long as the HD doesn't go t*ts up.  As ORBX installs all check for registry entries when installing.  If your registry shows the info there is no need to have the order number, date and registration code.  New HD, or in my case, a complete format will remove the data making it necessary to re-install all that scenery.
Just copying a backup will not help.
I do not have software to create a mirror of my HD so it was the long long road ahead that faced me this time.
Oh yeah just before the HD problem I decided I didn't need those old saved downloads of all that ORBX scenery I had on my external HD and cleaned em out just in time to give me room to save em all over again from ORBX.   :o
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
"I do not have software to create a mirror of my HD so it was the long long road ahead that faced me this time."

https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Totally freeware. No cheaper insurance than free. No excuse for not using this, or something similar, to avoid the unnecessary problems discussed in this thread. Completely restore your HD after a disaster or load the mirrored backup on a new HD to the same state that it was when mirrored.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
Price is certainly right I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the link.  Before I try the software a question.  Does it save the mirror to any place in particular or can I direct it to a external HD?
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »
Hi Spud,
Save it to your external drive. If you think about it, if you tried to save it to the same drive you're backing up  it would try to back up the files that it is writing, as it's writing and get stuck in an ever expanding loop until you ran out of space. It won't let you do that anyway, I don't think.

Another neat side benefit is that you can browse and pull files out of the saved image if you ever need to.

My practice is to keep 2 sets of images and delete the older one when I make a new one. Double insurance. Of course you need to have the added storage space to do this.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support