Author Topic: Powerboat Racing!!  (Read 5239 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Powerboat Racing!!
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »
http://secure.simmarket.com/ds-fsx-powerboat.phtml
&feature=related
&feature=related

Thinking about making some racing scenery for us. This package might need to be used. Anybody have this?? Looks pretty sweet.

Brad ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:41:48 AM by Bradallen43 »

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
Re: Powerboat Racing!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:28:35 AM »
looks pretty spiffy :o)
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »
It's a great boat and "goes fast!" :-) But beware, just like in the real one, you are down on the water and you can't see those darned rocks and islands coming at you. All of a sudden you "crash" ... huh?  Yep, it's called a ROCK ... rock vs boat, rock wins!    But to me that adds to it. The rocks don't move around, so you've got to know where they are and like in a real boat, if you are in "new water" you go a little slower until it is familiar "old water."  The two "racing pilots" signal each other like they are having conversations, pretty well done.  If you need to stop suddenly, hit the F2 which is "reverse engines" otherwise, like a plane, give yourself plenty of room to slow down.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
Well my idea is this, and it will probably show up somewhere else first because I'm sharing this here, but hey whatever. Freeware right?

I'll use a "Start" area with two floating docks across from each other in a straight line. Those will have a green Red Bull air race pylon object on each of them. That's the starting point. Then in a straight line about a three mile run or so away, is a single floating dock, with another Red Bull air race pylon on it. That's turn #1. Then turning to the left, another 3 miles or so away, another dock, another pylon and that's turn #2. Then again turning to the left, another 3 miles away, another dock, another pylon and another turn this time #3. Finally it turns left towards the starting point to complete the rectangle course.

Laps are run inside this pattern for the race. Say three laps? I don't know how powerboat regatta's work but we'll say the race is 3 laps. First driver across at the end of lap three wins the heat. Depending on how many interested online racers we have signed up for a given boat race event, heats are run and winners of those heats move on to the finals.

If there are 12 people that sign up, then the final would have four boats competing for the event win. That would mean we had 4 heats with three boats in each heat. Only the winner advances to the final.

The other scenery additions I'd have would be small boat's lining the course as spectators. Add crowds of people along any shoreline close enough to the course to watch. Put some hot air balloons and other decorations in. Lot's of concession tents, cars parked, etc. You get the picture.

So we'd need to organize an online session with people that have those boats installed and the scenery for the race area installed. Organize the race into 3 or 4 heats depending on how many entries we get. Run the heats and track the results. Run the final and crown a champion!

The inaugural "Misty" cup goes too.....

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
Here's some shots of the scenery I put together for the Misty's Regatta.

Flying by the viewing area and cove.

Turns on the course

Watch for the balloon operators, they mark where the turns are.

It's a blast!

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
Now there's pretty!
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
Now all we need are some Unlimited Hydroplanes!!! 200 mph and lots of stablility issues, lol....

I used to watch Pay N Pak, Circus-Circus, Atlas Van Lines, Miss Budweiser, and more out on Lake Washington when I was in Kindergarden back in the late 70's (eek.. aging myself, lol), and built myself more Lego "models" than I can count...
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Mike Cameron

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Now all we need are some Unlimited Hydroplanes!!! 200 mph and lots of stablility issues, lol....

I used to watch Pay N Pak, Circus-Circus, Atlas Van Lines, Miss Budweiser, and more out on Lake Washington when I was in Kindergarden back in the late 70's (eek.. aging myself, lol), and built myself more Lego "models" than I can count...

Me too.  We built wood hydro's that we pulled behind our bikes.   I still watch them on television now.   Now that there is an airshow between races featuring the Blue Angels, there is more to watch between races.    For those who do not know, it was at these races in the early 60's that the Boeing test pilot did a roll in the 707 prototype.

THibben

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
An update to Mikes recollection of the 707 prototype over the Gold Cup Race course. 

The 367-80 was the 707 prototype and it did its roll over the course in 1955.  It started at 300 ft altitude, went into a 35 Deg climb and did the roll.  It came back and did the roll again from the opposite direction.  Test pilot was "Tex" Johnston and he was credited with really selling the aircraft with that show.

The hydroplanes I remember were the Slo-Mo-Shun IV and V.  The races in those days were what we lived to see every summer.  One of the favorite drivers was Bill Muncey.

Tom
Tom