Author Topic: XPOI - (FSDiscover Replacement)  (Read 3866 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
XPOI - (FSDiscover Replacement)
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:19 AM »
For those of you who enjoyed KNOWING what they were seeing, (knowing the names of things as you fly), this may be something that would interest you.

One of the fellows on TwitchTV pointed me to "XPOI".  It is a Points of Interest program that labels geographical features as you are flying. I'm finding it has more entries than FSDiscover's database. Some people will not care for this at all, but it is something I've been looking for. As I'm making the trip tickets and routes, I can discuss the terrain below, naming things for them to see. Many of the Points of Interest are connected to Wikipedia with a click of the mouse, so you can learn a lot while flying.

You can read about it HERE.  I'm using it on TwitchTV/MistyMoorings.  If you go to our PROFILE page on Twitch , you will see it in action.  As I do a "cast" it is recorded. So there are several there to see. You don't have to watch the whole "cast" ... you can move the slider at the bottom to see things more quickly.

This sure does fill in a gap for me, maybe it will for you.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: XPOI - (FSDiscover Replacement)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Finally, the wait is over.  Thanks for the links and the heads-up.  We've been waiting for FSDiscover to become available for P3D since P3D came out.  I've just installed the "demo" version and will be purchasing the full product as soon as I see that link.  Be aware that it is said to cost $27 USD, so that may deter some from grabbing a copy.  But not me.  It is produced by FS DreamTeam, and I already have some products from them.  As a virtual tourist, I appreciate knowing the names of the places I am flying over, as well as being pointed to sometimes hidden locations not easily spotted.  I look forward to exploring the P3D environment with XPOI.

Also, I've discovered that you've been archiving the twitch videos you're flying.  That's great news to me, because I am having a hard time catching your flights "live".  Thanks for that.   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: XPOI - (FSDiscover Replacement)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
I'm having fun with Twitch, that's for sure.  The more I play with XPOI the better I like it. Sometimes it gets too crowded, but again, we only need the geographical stuff, all the facilities stuff can be off. 

I cannot make Cauatl work (whatever that is) and it crashes. I've got trip tickets in.  If it stops and gives you an error. Load again, go to Cauatl and DISABLE it.  I don't know what it is for anyway, then XPOI works fine. I think they have a problem with that.  Also, I don't know why I need the Addon Manager ... I'm not buying any of those other things, I'm thinking about taking that out.

I can now see why FSDiscover didn't come out, I'd hate to compete with this.  I'm finding it has MORE data points in it than FSDiscover, some things are showing up that I didn't know had names.  Also, if you find something wrong ... a pointer missing an island by a couple miles, etc, there is supposed to be a way to "register" and then you can fix things. I registered, haven't heard back. 

Keep me posted on your progress with it.  $27 is a little steep. But for what I'm doing on Twitch, this is absolutely perfect. I don't know if people could have seen the FSDiscover labels.

D