Author Topic: MistyMoorings TV - BETA  (Read 8969 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
MistyMoorings TV - BETA
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
MistyMoorings is on Twitch TV. 

We have been working with an "alpha" project of broadcasting RTMM flights on TwitchTV.  TwitchTV is mostly a website for gamers. If you are into Need for Speed or Art of War, you are probably already familiar with Twitch. You can go there to watch other gamers "play" the game, learn how the best do it and chat with others about the game as you watch it.  There are "channels" for each game. So for any one channel like Truck Simulator, there may be 10-15 people actually playing  You can choose one you like to watch, click on the "FOLLOW" heart, then TURN ON Notification (Instructions below) ... and anytime that favorite of yours comes online, you get a quick email telling you they are online.

There is a Microsoft Flight Simulator channel.  You can "favorite" a channel too ... so this would be one to "Favor".  When Twitch is on, you can go to your favorite channel, like the Microsoft Flight Simulator channel and watch other fly the game ... you will see people there flying FSX, P3D, and Steam. Watching it for some time, most of the folks there are flying "big iron". And those that fly a smaller aircraft are flying at 6000 feet or so. NObody is flying low and slow and down into the ORBX generated scenery.  So there is a "gap" or a "niche" that is not being explored.  Enter Misty Moorings!

As you know, I'm working on the "autoroute project" .... flying each of them to make sure they are correct and safe, fixing them as I go.  So I'm spending a fair amount of time flying. And, with a little help from Dan, discovered I can share it with you via TwitchTV.  To share this ...

1. Go to http://www.twitch.tv/
2. Sign up ... any user name you want (your RTMM forum name?) and you can have multiple "accounts". I use "RTMM_Doug" when I'm streaming Misty Moorings, but I have another account I use when I want to go watch the Train Simulator or the amazing "Creative Channel" where there are artists, body painting, tatoo, pottery, computer building ... (you name it, they are all there).  So when I 'follow' one of them, it isn't showing on the Misty Moorings page when they follow me back.
3. Search for MistyMoorings (one word). On the Main Twitch Website page, You click on the BROWSE in the header and a new screen comes up. In the left column you will see "SEARCH".  Put MistyMoorings into that area. And select it.
4. A screen with a large square viewing area will come up. If it is "blank" (black) then we are not streaming, otherwise you will see what we are broadcasting.
5. In the lower left corner is a Purple Square with a heart in it.  Click on the heart to "Follow". The heart turns green. Now click on NOTIFICATIONS  (which you can turn off later if you like).

That's all there is to it.

Now any time I am broadcasting, you will get a little email saying "MistyMoorings has just gone live on TwitchTV"  (not spam, or advertisements, just that little email). You can click on it and it will take you to the channel.

So now it is "beta".  I'm purposely not putting it into the Microsoft Flight Simulator channel for now. We still have a lot to learn and I'd rather "show up" there when we know what we are doing.  The RTMM team has been watching this activity for a couple of weeks and all seems to be going well.  So we are ready for "you" to look over our shoulder and see what you think.  Feel free to Chat with each other and with the "pilot". Remember, if you post something, it will take me about 30 seconds to see it (that's the typical delay for the game), so be patient with that lag. Mostly, I will be flying, not chatting, and focusing on working on the autoroute. (I have Plan G open in another window you can't see, working on the route).

Later, other team members might try this, it will be available to any team member to participate. But this is not for everyone.  For me, with all the hours I'm spending flying the routes, it just made sense to offer to share it for those who might enjoy riding along.

TwitchTV is about "followers" and "donations".... yada yada.  That is not going to be our focus. If people want to follow us ... great. If they do not, not a problem, I'm going to fly anyway. :-).  When you watch the other "flyers" on the Microsoft Flight Simulator channel, you'll see many doing things TOTALLY correct ... throwing all the switches to start the aircraft, interfacing with FMCs, etc.  That will not be our focus. I use CTRL-E and I use the autopilot.  Our focus is to highlight the absolutely beautiful scenery you can only see when you are flying low and slow at 1200 feet. (It does you little good to have ORBX Global/Vector/PFJ/PNW/SAK or Tongass X when you are flying at 25,000 feet ... you miss it all!).  I am not an artist, but I love to watch the artists on Twitch.  I'm betting there are many people who are not flight simmers who would love to see Alaska Scenery up close...like taking a "float plane tour" if they went to Alaska. We can give people that experience without the costs!

So it is a new medium, it may "fly" or we may discard it. RTMM is always on the frontier trying the new things ... some work, some do not.  I'm not going to fly on a "schedule" ... I don't want to be tied to the computer (the fish might be biting!).  So using Follow/Notification is the best way to catch me (us?). When online, you will see on the lower left of the screen where I'm flying to. You can go to the site and pull up the scenery package and read about it, grab the Plan G map and follow along, etc.  When I come to a location that has a TripTic, I'll fly the TripTic. You can see why this might be fun for people who do not have a simulator.

Be patient with us, we are still low on the learning curve.  When an RTMM Team member is on, you will see them as "RTMM Doug" or whatever. This way you will know you are talking to one of the TEAM, please refrain from using the RTMM in your user name (some will do it and screw this all up) but please try not.  There is a "Moobot" that will show up. There are always "bad apples" out there that would like to ruin what you are doing. This will catch most "bad words" ... it will catch ALL CAPS and similar things. It will "time you out" for doing these things. And I can "ban" anytime the need is there. Hopefully the crazies will show up over at World of War where they belong! :-)

Hope you drop by and say hello ...

Doug ... AKA "RTMM Doug"

Dan

Re: MistyMoorings TV - BETA
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »

Doug

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
Still broadcasting on Misty Moorings Twitch TV.  Getting the hang of it, it isn't too difficult.  I am flying all of the autoroutes to recheck each of them and correct them.  When they start to fly into a mountain, I uncheck the NAV on the autoopilot, and take the plane where it SHOULD go. I have Plan G tracking it. So when I'm finished, I can adjust the autoroute and get rid of the problem and re-upload it.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »
Doug,
for some reason I'm not getting any notification from TwitchTV any more.  Got a couple when I first signed up and nothing since?  If your flying regularly I should be getting e-mails about it.
 8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:08:59 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
Hi Spud...go into Twitch and make sure for Misty Moorings your Follow is ON and Notifications is ON. Let me know. I've spent about 25 hours on. Starting on the "C" routes today.

Dan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
Doug,
for some reason I'm not getting any notification from TwitchTV any more.  Got a couple when I first signed up and nothing since?  If your flying regularly I should be getting e-mails about it.
 8)
Twitch alerts for when people you follow go LIVE are notoriously inaccurate, unfortunately.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »
My experience,
     I do get the notifications, although maybe not all of them by Doug's assertion of the time spent online.  But I never know when they "come in".  I have no pop-ups or bells that chime when an email comes in, so I only find them whenever I check my inbox.  Usually too late too.  I've caught a couple of flights though.  I can't watch it in Full Screen and see the chat at the same time.  There is a "theatre mode" that shows the flight and the chat box, so I use that now.  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:41:35 AM »
I'm about halfway through the "Cs" and getting the program to run smoothly. Figured out the "follow" alert last night and have the "Game capture" window working instead if the "window capture". This is Greek to some, but bottom line, it is working very well. I probably won't chat in the text box, I only have one monitor. But I will use the mic and respond to questions. (Remember, there is a 30 second delay. If you ask a question, I will see it 30 seconds later.) I use an iPad to watch the broadcast and see the chat box. And Jeff us right, use the "theater mode" to watch. I'm setting up a second iPad  today that will have a MyTopo map of the area I'm flying so I can point out geographical features.

When I get to a cabin or location, I go into slew and do a walk through of the location...inspecting it. So far I'm finding almost no problems. I have found several nearby water anomalies. I grab the Lat/long of these and will send the list to Holger. The inspection is a good way for "outsiders" to see our work.

Most of the changes are adjustments to the flight plans. I have Plan G tracking in the background. I'm flying autopilot at 1200 feet. If the route gets dangerous, I turn off autopilot and fly the safer route. When the flight is over, I go into Plan G and adjust for the safer route.  Also, on flights needing more altitude, I'm noting the max needed and adding that number to the end of the name of the .PLN file. 

Some of the flights are long trips over water. Boring...except for Dex's AI Ships! So when I see one, I turn off the autopilot and drop down for a low flyover then turn autopilot back on and resume the track. The ships are one if the most amazing projects we (Dex!) have done. But many other flights are amazingly beautiful. The Leconte Glacier Tour us beautiful. The CIRP routes are strikingly beautiful with the ice. The trio from Bella Bella to Chilcotin is a stunning route through a mountain maze...add weather and it is really stunning.

Many of these I haven't flown in years, and I don't remember them. So coming down in the vicinity of a tiny cabin and finding it are not always a coordinated process! Sometimes I have to poke around in the lake to find the target. Three times now I've hit a water anomalies while landing. I stop immediately and slew to it to get the bearings, then continue.  So it isn't a perfectly smooth "production"... It is live TV and when you land an amphibian on asphalt with the wheels up, the Sparks are very visible to a viewer. Hopefully there won't be many of these...but they do happen.

I'll be moving the channel into the "Flight Simulator X" channel soon. This will then fully exposes us to the flight sim community...and the criticism and the crazies. Most I will tend to ignore. There is a "Moobot" automatic monitor that will delete chats with CAPS and bad words, etc. I can time out a user or ban them. As our folks get used to this, I can make some "moderators" with the same defensive tools. I can fly and the mods can run interference. :-).

The goal is to expose RTMM to an interested audience. People who don't have a simulator can ride along and discover the beauty, just as they would taking a flight sim tour in Alaska. I'm also doing it because it is fun. I'm enjoying flying again. We "live" in a beautiful area.

So we take the next step...the flight sim channel.

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Yep I'm in the same canoe as Jeff.

Still haven't been able to catch ya online except one time several days ago.

FWIW I found that if you click on the "FOLLOW" green square with the white heart in the lower left corner it will turn OFF the follow mode and you wont get the notices.  Even though a second click should turn it back on it doesn't work that way you have to click the 'Notify me' box that pops up to turn it back on.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
That's correct Spud.

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Just signed up and checking it out.  Nice idea!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
Rob ... be sure you turn ON the Notifications so you will know when I'm online.

D