Author Topic: The Cub Tour  (Read 8454 times)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
The Cub Tour
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
Hey Guys,
Henry here from Alaska Adventures....again.  We are launching our Cub Tour....a rather ambitious flight across Alaska in very short hops designed for dead reckoning navigation in a Cub.  No radio, No GPS, pencil, paper and VFR all the way. 

There will be some grass strips (snow covered by now) some asphalt real airports and a total of 80 YES 80 flights over  3100 miles.  There is no time limit, and for those of you that don't have a CUB, substitutions are allowed, but oh so wonderful in the Cub

The tour Starts Thursday October 8th, and I hope you consider joining us.  The 80 flights are in 4 tours (20 each,) and awards are given for each leg and completion. 

While this tour doesn't feature RTMM objects, you will get some flavor of what we are doing.  Remember with your input, we can and will do even more!!!

Please give it a try and give us your feedback

Henry Kirk
Human Resources Manager
AKA938

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: The Cub Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:15:12 AM »
Henry,

Curious what is recommended for the base scenery? Where does the tour go? Just in ORBX coverage areas or would I need ORBX Global? Would I need to download any specific scenery locations?

For me, I need more information. I have a stable of Piper Cubs of various types ready but I don't use default scenery really because I've only flown ORBX regions since 2008. I have Global and Vector but uninstalled those when SSD space became a concern. I only use P3D v2.5.

Brad

Dieter

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:17:42 AM »
@Henry
Did you ever seriously consider what a flight over more than 3000 miles in a Piper Cub means for the pilots:
at least 60+ hours in this plane. I assume this kind of Piper marathon flight  is much too long, many  participants will not reach the final destination, because they will quit during this event.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:43:58 AM »
Hi Dieter,
     Three thousand miles is a very long way, but I have flown the Alaska pipeline tour and the Iditarod trail.  It's not that bad, since you are in the comfort of home and can get up and take breaks whenever you want.  It is akin to reading a book, chapter by chapter.  The end eventually comes.  But in the end, a better sense of accomplishment.  I don't remember the mileage on the ones I flew.  But there is no time limit with these flights.  Just my thoughts, and yes, a flight that long is not for everyone.  I am looking forward to doing it, myself though.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and questions. 

Yes this is a Big tour!  The all day (winter) sucker.  The tour is broken down into 4 parts (with awards for each part) with 20 flights each.  Legs are short (just the average is something like 40 miles) Part of the attraction for me at least is I can slip in a flight without a big time consideration.  And, if you make a flight a day, it's less than three months. 

One thing is this is a new idea....and we are receptive to new ideas (yours and ours).  Great discussion will lead to better tours and more participation.  We are looking for the right mix.

As for scenery, I honestly haven't checked all of the destinations but I do know that SAK will be involved and possible FTX Pacific Fjords.  It never really occurred to me because I have all the ORBX regions and LC Alaska/Canada....set it on Hybrid and head to the skies.  Since you asked the question I will have a better look and get back to you.  Of course all the folks at RTMM are interested in great scenery, but I am sure there will be those happy with the dreaded default! lol

I am sure this tour isn't for everyone, and yes there was great consideration over the length, number of legs and destinations.  There are some grass fields, there is some asphalt...there are some very short legs and a few long ones.  And while the tour is long, it is many easy pieces...like Jeff said, chapters in a book. You may choose to do only Part 1, and that's fine. It is complete into itself, and you will receive an award and ribbon....do more, get more.  Many tours put on by VA's are not completed by those members that sign up....it happens, what we hope is that the tour makes sense in real life terms and it is interesting enough to attract pilots.

One thing I am sure you have never heard before is that once we get started should we find a major problem, or the something else, we are flexible enough to make changes to better the concept.

Please come over and sign up, give it a try, post your thoughts, enjoy the ride.  The tour becomes active Thursday evening, and sign up are almost immediate.  I have attached the SkyVector links for part of Part 1 that will clear up the area question. (attachment limitations)

Let me know your thoughts.

Henry

GrizzlyAir

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
I have flown the first few legs (official kick off is tonight) using Orbx scenery only and it is absolutely a great tour.  Fly your cub low and slow through some of the best terrain and scenery you'll ever encounter.  Just try the first two legs and see if you don't agree.  You'll be hooked.  If you have the A2A simulations cub, it's the perfect use for that plane.

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
Thanks Grizzly,
We think it is a winner, glad you liked it so far.  Be sure to join AKA, sign up for the Tour and Fly Fly Fly.  I quite agree, the A2A Cub is perfect, and we all know how wonderful ORBX scenery is. 

I think if you give it a try, you will enjoy the tour.  And as always, you feedback (good or bad) is welcome and appreciated.

Fly safe,

Henry

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »
. . .  I have attached the SkyVector links for part of Part 1 that will clear up the area question. (attachment limitations)

Let me know your thoughts.

Henry
Hi Henry,
     I have a question or two about the links you posted.  Why are there two?  Is there any difference, and if so, what?  If they are the same link, could you remove one, so we don't grab both of them.  Thanks.  ;)

Also, clicking on the link brings up "Skyvector".  I've never used it before, but it looks like a blank page to me.  Am I required to "sign in", or "be online in my sim" to see anything in that window? ???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:51:12 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Jeff,
The entire file was to big as an attachment...sorry.  The Tour is up and running...http://www.flyaka.com/index.php/tour/details/64

SkyVector is the electronic version of aviation charts.(I am not sure they are legal for flight)
but they work really well for VFR or IFR flight on the Sim....With Good scenery and mesh, this is about as real as it gets.  You can do flight planning, and dead reckoning navigation on this trip just like the real deal.....if you want.

Hope to see on the roster soon. I think you will enjoy the flights.

And as always, feedback in appreciated.

Henry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:12:04 PM by windquest »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
     Well, I just finished leg 1.  I've never used the "Blue Box v3" ACARS before.  It keeps reporting my landing gear going up and down!  Very strange for a Piper Cub with tundra tires.  They don't retract, and I never tried to retract them of course.  Taxiing to the gate, I lifted for 1 second off the ground.  It reported that strangely too.  But whatever.  I'll get use to it, eventually.  Sim crashed, or shut down twice on me.  When I came back in, it said I was in a different situation than when I left.  Must have been out of sync with the autosave.  First flight learning curve.  It's gonna be a long trip.   :o

Suppose to be a 40 minute leg?  18 miles?  It took me 15 minutes.   :P  Used 1 lb. of fuel, PIREP says I used 0 fuel.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:05:39 PM by jeff3163 »

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
And now you see why we are in the process of a custom Acars...we don't like BlueBox for those and other reasons, but it will report you flight and credit the leg....Glad you enjoyed it.  If you have any troubles, just let me know.
Henry

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »
And now you see why we are in the process of a custom Acars...we don't like BlueBox for those and other reasons, but it will report you flight and credit the leg....Glad you enjoyed it.  If you have any troubles, just let me know.
Henry

Roger, Henry.  I will ignore the oddities then, and carry on.  Only 2,982 miles to go.   :)  The hard part is behind me now.  ::)

sra

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
The following is a bit of a repost I made over at AKA after seeing the posts about the Cub adventure here at RTMM.   I managed to fly the first 3 legs using current weather and although I have yet to have better than about 1 mile visibility and anything other than rain, I have also had more fun than I thought possible.  Flying the first leg in the canyon with nearly zero visibility with just a VFR chart, a whiskey compass, and an altimeter has never been so much fun.  Scudding along at barely 1000' and following the power lines and roads has really brought stick and rudder bush flying alive.  Leg 2 was just as bad with visibility so low I couldn't see both sides of the canyon at the same time and leg 3 was raining so hard I almost couldn't see the water straight down.  With not enough horizon visible to keep the plane level your instrument scan is laser beam focused on the compass and altimeter and course adjustments are slow and easy to avoid unusual attitudes.  For leg 3 I even had to get out my stop watch and use good old dead reckoning to navigate over the open water.  All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU.   I do hope that a few days have better visibility because so far I haven't actually seen any Alaska scenery, but the flying has never been so much fun.  I never appreciated my little A2A J-3 more.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what the next 77 legs have to offer.  Yeah, this is fun stuff.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
     I've finished leg 4, landed at PAKW at sunset.  My experience is the same as yours, sra.  Twenty plus winds coming into and out of PANT.  When I turned after taxiing to line up for takeoff, the wind picked up my plane.  So I just floated off the runway and headed for Klawock.  Luckily the weather cleared a little before I got there.  I went to 4,500' for leg 4 to get above the hills and clouds.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:08:00 PM by jeff3163 »

marc2140

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
I am a recreational flyer in the first place. That's why I made a variation of the flightplan for leg 4 of the tour (Anette Island to Klawock). It tries to pass by a maximum of RTMM sceneries. Sometimes a bit hard to find, but lots of joy if you discover them (if you have them installed first of course). Don't bother about the weather, It's pure eye candy.
Use also Dieter's file with the RTMM spots to load up in Plan-G.
Enjoy.
Marcel
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE