Author Topic: Ssd Clone  (Read 10696 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Ssd Clone
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Depending on the amount of data you are transferring, it probably won't take more than an evening to do. I do stuff like this overnight while I'm sleeping. If you run into any issues or problems, just shout. As long as you still have all of your data on your original drive, you still have something to revert to if something major goes wrong - which it shouldn't.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »
     Wow, there's some insight.  If my new SSD fails somehow, I can just plug the old one back in.  I hadn't thought of that. 
     You know, I have never, ever performed a successful backup of my system.  I have tried.  But the whole concept eludes me.  What do I save?  All of the drive?  Some critical files, or personal files?  Where would I "save" it at.  Some remote storage drive with ample free space?  What a mess!!  I've been computing since the late 80's, and grown from a 386 and a CGA monitor to my current specs today.  I've never lost any drives or data.  Pretty sure I still have a set of backup files on here somewhere.  They are outdated now, stored in XML format or something, or was it a bunch of zips.  Anyway, just useless waste of my hard drive space.

I know it happens, but never has happened to me.   :o  I don't do backups, or try to maintain them somewhere, somehow.  That's just how I roll.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
He'd just need to keep the old SSD around until he's sure everything is up and running to his satisfaction on his new SSD. Then do whatever he wants to with it. Obviously.

One drive failure, boot sector virus, or stupid mistake will change the whole attitude about imaging drives and keeping backups. It changed mine!  And yes, you do save the entire drive when imaging; lock, stock, and barrel. I save to 2 spare HDD's which are dirt cheap. Glad you've never lost any data due to a physical failure. To each his own, I guess.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
Jeff, I recently rolled into heartbreak when my 1T HD external suddenly crashed with no warning. It contains a half-lifetime of family pics, etc. Windows no longer recognizes the drive. If I install it as an internal drive the BIOS sees it but Windows still does not. The disk spins up OK but it lost formatting or something. I've backed up my C: drive regularly but never even thought of backing up the external. I thought that was my backup. And guess where my C: drive backups were stored? Yep, good guess. I'm off to have another good crying jag.

jsapair
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
Yep, the external storage crashes with your "stored" stuff on it.  That sucks.  That did happen to me.  But I took it out of the case and put it into my computer, and now it's my S: drive.  It was the logic board in the case that went bad.

Livin' on da edge!   :o ??? :-\ :P :o

Thinkin' I may try again, in the near future.  Maybe.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:46:45 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »
That is why I backup all my files identically to two separate drives....one internal and one external.  Guess I should have put them in a RAID array...I am a manual RAID. 

Rod

BamaKevin

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
Ok guys Ssd is arriving today wish me luck.

BamaKevin

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »
ok got everything copied over except for 1 file system volume information.  Do I need that and how to move it to new drive?

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
The new drive might already have a system volume information file on it already. Don't worry about it one way or another. It holds information about system restore points if you have system restore active.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BamaKevin

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »
ok p3d now does not work on new drive.  I did change the drive letters accordingly.  Do I have to erase the files off old drive for new ones to work?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:27:14 PM by BamaKevin »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »
Disconnect the old SSD that had the original P3D on it.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BamaKevin

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »
ok did that but when i tried to load a flight it crashed again to desktop. I actually got to select my aircaft and airport but thats it.  Tries to load gets to about 6% thats it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:58:34 PM by BamaKevin »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
I don't have P3D so I can't address that particular issue. Can you run other programs that might be loaded onto your new SSD?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BamaKevin

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »
yes

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
If you can run other programs installed on the new SSD, then my guess is that your migration was fine and you obviously have a P3D issue. I'm assuming that P3D was working fine before you made the leap? Try disconnecting the new SSD and plug the old one back in and see what happens. Make sure the drive letter is the same as before.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support