Author Topic: Sound Update Kitsault and Nina's  (Read 7213 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Sound Update Kitsault and Nina's
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
Dex Thomas has updated the sound files for Kitsault and Nina's ... see the NOTAMs page for today's date 02.27.11 ... go to the SOUND icon at the scenery download location.  Follow the instructions in the readme that is with each download zip.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Sound Update Kitsault and Nina's
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
I have downloaded and installed the updates partially successfully so far.  I would like to make a suggestion that might prevent some confusion.

Kitsault Gold Camp, or as it is named in the airport selection screen "Kitsault Gold Pan", which has 2 entries, one for PF03 and one for RM3 in my install.

Because there are now 3 different downloaded files involved with Kitsault that, to me, are becoming more confusing by the hour.  File 1 is the Kitsault Gold Camp v1.0 which is the scenery itself.  File 2 is the Kitsault Gold Camp Sounds that adds the sounds. And, lastly File 3, Kitsault Gold Camp sounds service pack 1.  By the time I sorted out the .bgl, .fx and .wav files, because in the extraction process they are all mixed up and not separated by file extension, I had managed to delete the actual scenery files.  Loaded in the scenery and nice sounds playing but no airport or structures showing.  Did a complete re install of all three files to get it all sorted out.

My suggestion would be to have just two files involved.  (1) Kitsault Gold Camp the scenery alone.  (2) Kitsault Gold Camp with scenery and sounds included.  Those that do not want to hear the sounds would get (1) and those that want the scenery with the sounds download (2).  If like me you had the original Gold Camp and the added sounds you would just download the (2) file 'Kitsault Gold Camp with sounds', delete my original Kitsault Gold Camp and replace it with the scenery with the sounds.  Just too many files to delete, replace, and/or add to keep it all straight.  Updated files would just be put in the library and old files deleted with a NOTAM that a new scenery or a new scenery with sound is available.  New comers would only have the two choices and no delete, replace, add files confusion factor involved.

Oh yes the read me file in the sound pack 1 needs to have the .txt extension add to be able to read it.

Now Nina Landing sound update.  I installed it exactly according to the read me file and am not getting sounds that I would call pleasant.  Night sound ok, music just screeching gulls and really bad noise that I think is supposed to be music but can not tell for sure.  This on the first attempt without any trouble shooting on my part but I'm going back and dump my original install and start over again.  The same suggestion applies here have just two downloads (1) Nina'a Landing scenery only and (2) Nina's Landing with sound.

Not a rant just trying to have the K.I.S.S. principal in force.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
I sorted out a problem of my own after updating Nina's sound files.  Computers are strange beasties, esp when I'm behind one of them.   ::)   

I went to Misty's to start and didn't hear any sounds.  I had them before.  Looked in the file folder,  Misty/scenery and they were gone!  My bad, I'm sure.  Reinstalled the sound files and went back.  Now I had sound but realized there were TWO Misty cabins, TWO VW vans.  Uh O.   Seems I had the Misty's place 01. bgl and the Misty's place 02.bgl both active.  Only the 02.bgl was in my Misty scenery folder.  Did a search and found misty's_place_01.bgl in my Nina's Landing scenery folder!  Don't know, don't ask.   ::)    To be sure I was ok I deleted both Nina's and Misty's and redownloaded all the files and reinstalled.   Looks and sound great at both places!!

I like Spud's suggestions for KISS.  Maybe even less work for Doug and Brad and everyone?
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Spud,

You shouldn't have any RM3 so that's not good. Please delete that entirely from your system, re-download Kitsault from the scenery page and try again. If you again have PF03 AND RM3, let me know and we will sort that out.

I too had some issues with RM's showing up but that was just when Kim and I were first making the first three scenery files, PF01, PF02 and PF03. So, I'm bewildered why you have that showing up as well.

Thanks,

Brad

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:48 AM »
Spud, try removing the PF03 ALT file from the scenery world scenery folder and see if RM3 disappears. At the same time go to PF03 in sim and see that everything is still OK scenerywise.

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:36:18 AM »
After reading about "RM3" in this thread I checked my FSX and I found
- RM1 Khutzey River
- RM2 Nisga'
- RM3 Kiltsault

I can choose these ones and the corresponding PF..  They all place my plane at the right place.
Any actions to be taken?

All these names also appear in Plan-G.

Greetings
Dieter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:01:51 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:38:50 AM »
Dieter, check your ALT files for those locations, disable them by removing them from the scenery world scenery folder, I am pretty certain they are redundant anyway, and also have an incorrect designation burried in their too.
It should not be a problem for anyone who sees this as there is no actual conflict going on, but it looks untidy, if you then check those three locations and let me know if all looks well both from the GPS and "Go to airport" point of view, and as far as the actual scenery looking OK in sim is concerned I will get the files updated and remove the ALT files altogether.

Dieter

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:06 AM »
Ok,
I deleted
- PF01_ADEX_KG_ALT
- PF02_ADEX_KG_ALT
- PF03_ADEX_KG_ALT

Result:
FSX doesn't show RM1-3 anymore and I also couldn't see any problems in the scenery. (PF01-03)

(But I wonder, there must have been a reason for programming these 3 ALT-files?)

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

GrahamP

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »
Graham

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Doug,
I had already determined that the RM1-3 locations were the same as the PF01-03 locations and as Dieter has done, I removed the ALT files from my World/scenery folder.  All better now!  Thanks for the info.  I assume that when the ALT files were done the RM was for Return to Misty and the code was not changed.  (I'm so smart!)  ::)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
That's right Spud, RM was an original designator we used before deciding to switch to the PFXX format, at the time though I was unaware that the designator was also embedded in the ALT files (which as the linked to post above explains the reason for their creation, which later proved unnecessary, it's a learning curve thing!)

Thanks for reporting that back Dieter, anyone else who finds that irksome now has a trouble free fix.

To Doug: rather than change all the files it might be an Idea to add a NOTAM somewhere that the ALT files have been found superfluous and do not need to be installed.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Why don't I create and have Doug upload some updated zipfiles for each of these locations without the ALT files included? It'll be an easy upload and a small note on why we updated them.

Then we won't have any more RM worries.

Brad

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
That would certainly solve it for any future downloads Brad, feel free.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
Whatever we can do to help ... shoot them at me, Brad, I'll get them up for the folks.

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
K.I.S.S.

8)
Later,

Spud