Author Topic: Timuquan Mission Troubleshooting  (Read 3573 times)

Auger

Timuquan Mission Troubleshooting
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:35:48 AM »
So I've been having this problem with the Timuquan mission series where FSX crashes somewhere in the first few minutes.  The error was usually in panel.dll, leading me to believe it was something with gauges.  After a bit of troubleshooting, I discovered that the .PLN files appear to have been created with Plan-G.  Plan-G puts some schmutz in the files, specifically in the Lat and Long coordinates.

Here's a line from a FSX flight planner created .PLN:
<WorldPosition>N41° 49' 36.17",W90° 19' 49.91",+000708.00</WorldPosition>
And here's one from a Plan-G export file:
<WorldPosition>N53° 14' 54.14",W132° 0' 28.59",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
Whatever that 'Â' character is, it seems to cause havoc with FSX.  I could pretty much make Timuquan03 crash on demand by bringing up the GPS.

The fix for most of them was to open the .PLN with the FSX flight planner and just save it again.  Timuquan 03 was a special case, as it wouldn't save at all.  Recreating it in FSX planner, then hand correcting the coordinates to match the original fixed it.  I was finally able to run it all the way through.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My setup
FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration in DX10
FSX running on F: drive (SSD)
i7-4770K
16 GB RAM
2 x GeForce GTX660 in SLI
3 x 1920x1080 monitors
Windows 7

Dieter

Re: Timuquan Mission Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:39:36 AM »
I cannot confirm this problem.
Maybe it's a good idea to download "Timuquan01.zip" again. The provided flight plan in there doesn't either  have these strange characters or a position like "W132"

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Auger

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:35:03 AM »
OK, new problem.  As I start to taxi out in the beginning of Timuquan 04 I keep crashing into something about 10-15 feet in front of where the plane is parked.  There is some grass sticking up out of the water,  but that shouldn't cause a collision.  Is there some way to have FSX tell you what you are hitting?

Dieter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:35:26 AM »
Well, to suggest switching "crash detection" off might be a bad idea and will be unrealistic for you, but even Orbx recommends this to their users to avoid conflicts like this that cannot be ruled out. (problems of invisible crash boxes)
The crash detection in FSX is not very realistic, it creates many problems, and that is why many users choose to turn it off. But this has been discussed in many forums without getting any satisfactory solution.

Dieter
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:37:17 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
My take,
I just rely on the fact that I'm able to determine if my ham handedness has caused a crash of my A/C without the totally unrealistic "Crash Detection" feature of FSX and the accompanying Lets have a doover!  And restarting things from scratch.  Wouldn't that be nice in real life after a crash.
every scenery object placed, IE: building, tree, light pole, etc. comes with an invisible 'crash box' around it and at time these 'boxes' are grossly oversize causing a detected crash quite a distance from the actual object.  This is avoided with Crash Detection OFF. 
So due to limitations of FSX coding which was never designed to accomodate detailed addon scenery of the complexity and detail that is now being achieved.  If you fly with crash detection ON be prepared at some locations to have these phantom crashes happen.
The pilot can certainly see and know when he hits the trees or buildings that show and he "buys the farm" but there is just no realism involved when a crash box which you can't see is sticking out so far as to be unavoidable, eliminate the frustration and enjoy flying by not using crash detection on.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:56:46 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »
You gotta turn Crash Detection to "Off" for RTMM scenery. We place grasses and other objects in and around airstrips, floatplane ramps, etc. You're going to be crashing into unseen objects alot if you don't turn that setting to off.

Brad

Auger

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
Turned off Crash Detection and all is well.  Seems sort of silly to have a collision with grass at 5 MPH.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
Well, it's not something we can change because that's how FSX/P3D handle objects with a crash box around each object and it crashes you if you cross it with your aircraft. Only choices are on/off so, you know why we recommend having it off now.

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »
Technically speaking, crash boxes can be made to be on or off when objects are created or edited in the future. Oh well, way too late now.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support