Author Topic: ORBX Global Freeware airport Packs  (Read 14523 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
ORBX Global Freeware airport Packs
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:54 PM »
In case your interested in getting the ORBX Freeware Global Airport Packs.  They now have made an all in one installer for Packs 1-20 and another installer for the European Pack 1-7.  the 1-20 Packs have over 250 airports and the European Packs 1-7 have over 50 airports.
Here is the link:

https://www.fullterrain.com/freeware/global

Later,

Spud

scanham

Re: ORBX Global Freeware airport Packs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »
Hey Spud,

I installed the packs and all seems to be fine, however I didn't see it in the FSX scenery library, so I went ahead and added it. I flew to one of the airports and it looks great, but now I'm wondering... Did I do right?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Canham
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »
These are Orbx Freeware airports.  They would show in the scenery library under the FTX Orbx entries (below our RTMM folders).  They are most likely "activated" by the installer already.  ;)

I will investigate this for myself . . .   :P

Edit:  I installed both North America and the European packs.  No need to visit the scenery library.  They are installed and ready to use already.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:54:43 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
The Global Freeware Packs from ORBX like all ORBX products come with their own installers.  Originally each individual pack had their own installer but now the entire 20 Packs have one installer that places the files into your FSX Scenery Library and activates them automatically.
The installer should place the airports in the C:\....ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS folder and they are all lumped together in that folder.
No need to activate anything or move the airports in the FSX Scenery Library as with any ORBX stuff it is done for you.  The only exception I recall are the LC files that will pop up to the top unless you make an insertion point for them.
 8)
Later,

Spud

scanham

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »
Thanks guys!
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
Why am I seeing Rods photo for Spuds posts?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
I see Spud's plane...

Rod

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
A page refresh was in order

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
Steve, here's a .kml file for all the NA freeware airports so you can see them in Google Earth. I know what you're saying, unless you have a flight plan to or from these airports you don't really know where they are.
                              JJ

Jsapair

scanham

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
Steve, here's a .kml file for all the NA freeware airports so you can see them in Google Earth. I know what you're saying, unless you have a flight plan to or from these airports you don't really know where they are.
                              JJ

Very useful.  This will keep me busy  :D 

Thanks you sir!
Steve Canham
MFC0077

Yoland

• When all else fails, read the directions!
    • Saint Paul Airlines - Keep the dirty side down.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
Just a small comment: be aware that some NA airports that were present in the #1 to #20 former free ORBX airport packages are missing in the new package which I falsly supposed to hold the whole bunch of former free available airports.
This can be a bad surprise if it concerns an airport that you use frequently.
Yoland - St Paul Airlines CEO - SPA348

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
Interesting observation.  I have not run across a listing of the airports in the combined 1-20 packs (haven't really looked due to having the originals on my system).  Any body have a link to a listing of the combined 1-20 Packs?  I'd like to compare it with the original separate downloaded packs.
My opinion is that either the missing airports had some problems OR ORBX omitted them because they want to make a payware version.  It will be interesting to observe what occures in the future.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Yoland

• When all else fails, read the directions!
    • Saint Paul Airlines - Keep the dirty side down.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
If you just go to the FTX ORBX freeware page, on the freeware orbx ftx airport pack page you will find a detailed list of the airport included.
Yoland - St Paul Airlines CEO - SPA348

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »
Yoland,
yep found it after posting and as you say KHXD is not on that list.  Now can somebody who installed the combined 1-20 packs via the new installer check if the airport is indeed missing?
The most complete way I think would to be to look in the:

FSX\ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery folder for two files:
1. ADE_FTX_FTXG_KHXD.BGL
2. ADE_FTX_FTXG_KHXD_CVX.bgl
No files, no airport.
That would confirm that either the ORBX Freeware list is inaccurate or the airport has been pulled.  My three cents worth is that, if not a misprint, ORBX may have designs on making the airport a payware project.
Checking Goggle satellite images the Global Pack KHXD is quite accurate including the surrounding topography/water bodies.
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is there, Spud.  If you look at the thread where I posted pics I was seeing, look down the thread at the pic by DbutterF ... if you look closely, you'll see the extra buildings are not there to the right and left, you can see them in mine.  The "original" airport is pretty bare (again, I fly this one all the time, because it is my "home" airport). So I was thrilled when it showed up in the 5th pack.  What I'm seeing now is the "updated" one from the 20 pack. I did a full new install here, so used the 20-pack to install them. It doesn't show on the list but I'm darned sure it is there.  Don't know if that helps. 

But as stated over on the other thread, the problem I have is with Vector ... the configurator is not scanning all of the airports ... missing so many. So they've got a problem there for sure.

Doug