Author Topic: RTMM and seaplanes  (Read 6801 times)

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
RTMM and seaplanes
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
While I am waiting for the new drive to come in to fix my computer, I've been thinking about my flying in RTMM.  Much of RTMM is accessible by water, so I've decided to fly more float/amphibs than I usually do.  I found a great deal of difference between models in how well they handle on water when approaching the dock or shore.  My question is; are there any tricks to make this better? 

The best one I've found so far is the Aerosoft Beaver, but the vision out of the cockpit to enjoy the scenery is not the best on this model.  The flight replicas super cub, although a neat airplane with good outside vision, handles terribly when on the water.  Any suggestions?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: RTMM and seaplanes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:02:51 PM »
Hi Steve,
I am a Beaver driver.  An "Aerosoft Beaver" driver.  I started out in the default beaver, and also found that the view was frustrating.  I was always straining my neck to see over the large panel.  But the Aerosoft beaver is not the same.  I fell in love with my beaver amphibian in the first few test flights, and now, three years later, it has been a marriage made in heaven.  It is my plane of choice 99% of the time.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Agree that the payware Aerosoft Beaver is the best amphib for me.

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »
If you can afford it, 2 of the very best (in my opinion) investments you can make to really enhance your immersion of flight simming, and they aren't exactly inexpensive, are TrackIR and EZDOK. TrackIR is a hardware head tracking device that moves the view on your screen as you move your head in 360 degrees. EZDOK allows you to easily change camera views, panning, etc. It's hard to explain, but this differs than the methods used in changing the default views using default FSX or P3D methods. EZDOK can be a stinker to set up for some, but when combined with TrackIR it's a show stopper. This system allows for much better "out of the window" views in the Beaver, or any aircraft for that matter because you can actually shift your head or entire body up, down, left right, etc to peer over or around things you see in your virtual cockpit. There's lots of YouTube videos that show this way better than I can explain.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 06:37:21 AM »
Good idea steve.  Since I'm having to rebuild the system anyway, I think I'll add a TrackIR to the list of hardware add-ons I'll purchase for the re-build.  I'm not sure about the EZDOK, I'm still reading up on that one, but I played with a TrackIR when they first came out and although the early ones had their problems, I'm sure they're ironed out by now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:06:15 AM by sddinnh »

GypsyPilot

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
Hi Steve,
EZDok is one of the best investments that I have ever made for FSX.  It is a complete replacement for FSX's view system and it allows you to set up views that you cannot do otherwise. 

I have a TrackIR that I have never liked and do not use.  I could never get it set up to my liking.
Way too much money spent on a product that I just don't like or use.  :'(

I use my hat switch to control my views when flying and yoke buttons for external views.
This link will explain it much better than I can.

~~Gypsy~~

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
Hey Gyspy,
Have you ever tired any of the FSX pre-sets for TrackIR? There's one or two that get you right in the ball park. Like anything else, it takes some experimenting, proper calibrating and thoroughly reading the docs to get it to your liking. EZDOK is no different in working at to get right. Once set up, it is a fabulous enhancement too, especially when used in conjunction with EZDOK. Worth every dollar to me and I wouldn't fly without it.

Do a YouTube search for TrackIR FSX and there's plenty of vids that show you what I mean about proper setup. Don't give up.

This video pretty demos the whole shebang
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:22:45 PM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
     I use the trackIR for every program that will allow it.  Getting my head in the game.  This is my second one, since I broke the first one dropping it behind the desk too many times.  (they are fragile!)  But I would not want to be without it.  I have a 10.5 ft. field of view to cover, and head tracking helps a lot.  I've tried EZDOK, but had trouble implementing it in the past.  They may have updated things since then.  I don't know.  But when it works right, it is a great camera pov tool.  (my experience here was with setting up P3d/trackir/ezdok, and a year or so ago too.)  :P 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Well, I think I'll start with the TrackIR and then move on and add the EZDOK if the TrackIR alone doesn't do what I want. 

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »
Well, the TrackIR is on it's way so I just have to wait for UPS. 

In the meantime, the new SSD drive came in today and I got it in and got the computer back up and running.  Now I'm putting stuff back in and it's amazing how much stuff had gotten installed, modified, or otherwise put into the FSX that was on my computer.  I spent the whole afternoon working on it and it seems  like every time I add something, I remember some thing else I have to add - LOL.

Well, at least when I'm done, I'll have a nice clean install.  I guess there's something to be said for that.

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »
Steve,
Great choice with purchasing TrackIR.
I use it with a three monitor setup and can't imagine flightsimming without it.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:26:27 AM »
Well, todays the day they deliver the TrackIR.  I've done pretty good at recovering from the hard drive failure and now have back most of my funcunality.  So far, I've only found a few of my custom repaints missing,  Among them is the RTMM DoDosim 206, which will have to be redone.  I've since changed my procedure for doing repaints, so that won't happen again and everything gets backed up.

Daredevil Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
Had the same problem until I got A2A's Accu-Feel. One of the things this program does is to allow you to adjust the tension of the water. This slows the float plane to a stop faster than FSX does it. A quick nudge of the throttle and you move about 3 feet and stop. Now I can pull right up to the dock.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »
Had the same problem until I got A2A's Accu-Feel. One of the things this program does is to allow you to adjust the tension of the water. This slows the float plane to a stop faster than FSX does it. A quick nudge of the throttle and you move about 3 feet and stop. Now I can pull right up to the dock.

???  Huh?  I think this post belongs in a different thread!?  It's good to know the water tension can be adjusted, but nobody was talking about that here.   :-\

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
Jeff,
I thought maybe I missed something along the line here, but it looks like it wasn't me after all. An interesting fact about Accu-Feel however.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support