Author Topic: Fuel Management Project for RTMM  (Read 17896 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Fuel Management Project for RTMM
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
Well too bad we can't please everybody ... but the people here wanted them, so they got them. Sorry you don't like them and don't appreciate the days of work that went into the project. None of ours are "on" a helipad, you have to fly away from the pad to "load", so landing at the pad doesn't refuel you. Perhaps if you'd been more active you could have weighed in on the discussion. Too late now, but the good news is, you can still go back to where you were flying before. Choice is a great thing.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:35:55 PM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
Ok we know now you hate fuel boxes in FSX but that's all I could glean from your post. 

Are you flying as in real world with adjusted fuel loads for the mission and don't want to accidently have your aircraft re-fueled if you taxi near fuel pumps? 

If so you shouldn't experiece too much trouble with these as they are limited to the area close to the fuel pumps and taxiing on the runway will keep you clear of the trigger.  Just be careful and not pass close aboard the pumps and it should not have any effect on your flight.
 8)
Later,

Spud

SkipperMac

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Doug, thank you for your quick reply and please don't think I'm ungrateful for all the work you and the team have done over the years. This particular development is something I could have done without, but as I already said, I'm cool with it as it seems that no-one else has been complaining. I'm happy to be in a minority of one, that's how the world works.

Many thanks for RTMM. I'll just keep avoiding refueling boxes as best I can.

And thanks to Spud who has posted while I was typing - that helps to clarify. And sorry if my Irish sarcastic humour made my post confusing.

Question asked - answer given. Thanks gents.
SkipperMac

i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
Easy way around the "I hate fuel triggers" is if you accidentally trigger one just hit pause, reset your fuel load to whatever you want it to be and then be back on your way in 10 seconds. Or as Spud says, stay clear of any fuel pumps. My question is why do you hate them so much? How much are you willing to pay for a utility that would remove them?
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

SkipperMac

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
I like to manage my own fuel, putting in however much I choose and not just accepting full tanks. I know I can reset the fuel after it automatically fills up, but that implies that I've noted the fuel before straying into the box.

But it's no big deal - I've been avoiding them for years, I'll just keep on avoiding them as best I can. The biggest issue is when running FSEconomy which doesn't like when you suddenly get a free fill-up lol. I've no idea what a utility to disabled all the boxes would be worth, or even if its possible without messing up all sorts of other things.
SkipperMac

i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
Doug, Spud, Rod and Steve
 thank you so much for your hard work msking the fuel boxes, working windsocks and NDB's possible in RTMM!!!
Every time I'm completly overwhelmed what you guys create for the RTMM World. Thank you again!!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »
Thanks Klaus...all I can say is that you 'aint seen nothin' yet!

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
Skipper,
one way around the fuel triggers is simple.  If you already have the location in your sim just do not download the updated files and things will be as before the fuel triggers were added.  However, if you download the files for a location you do not have and it has fuel trigger added then pump avoidance is the only thing you can do other than re-adjusting fuel load if you accidently fillup.
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
Also, within the folder with fuel added, each is a separate bgl file clearly labeled as "trigger"... Just delete that bgl.

SkipperMac

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »
Spud, that was my plan anyway. No need to update with a facility that I don't need.

Doug, there's the solution! If the trigger is in a separate file, I (or any other weirdo like me lol) can just delete it. That's brilliant. Thanks!

And best wishes of the season to all the developers and to everyone who thinks the triggers are an early Christmas present  8)
SkipperMac

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Recommend you add an .off to the end of trigger file so you retain it in case you every want to enable it......just a thought.

Also, there are not separate fuel trigger files for some airport locations where an entire airstrip is defined using ADEX type .bgls.  The Fuel box is included in the ADEX .bgl.    PF01 is an example of this.

Rod

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
Juneau Harbor. Found the perfect eye candy pump at Juneau Harbor, 5Z1. It's in the marina closest to the Juneau Intl AP. My plane is sitting at N58 18.31, W134 25.97 @ 336. Could that get a trigger? If there's an ORBX issue then how about a new pump at Taku Lodge? Otherwise there is no float plane fuel for the Juneau environs that I know of.
                                                      JJ
Jsapair

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Ooops! Forgot to attach the pic for Juneau Harbor.

Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
OK, now you've given one to us that hasn't got an answer yet. A trigger on that rascal would take about 2 minutes ... but where would we put the bgl for it?  All that scenery in that area is ORBX, and I'll not put a bgl into their stuff.  What we do in a case like this is put the trigger into a close by RTMM scenery that we've made.  For instance i just put a fuel trigger at CZST for you (coming soon) with a pump object I put there by the fence (near one you know about). It is hooked into a new Brad's BBQ for Stewart, 2 miles away and all documented nicely (also about how to take it out if people don't want it).  So there, we are attaching something a bit of a distance away, but it goes into OUR RTMM scenery folder. As for Juneau Harbor, we don't have anything in this area. So we would have to "place" something.

This is one of the "reasons" for the Brad's BBQ restaurants. We can put them almost anywhere to add to a scenery like this, and make those things happen within "our" scenery package that we can add on top of a location like you've pointed out.  Most of the Brad's now are at the beginning or end of a "river run". We had no starting places for them, so we would use the lat/long and start someone at the Brad's then go up the river.

In this case we "could" do it using that strategy of nesting the fuel trigger inside a little scenery package of our own... see the attached pic. We have a Brad's now that would fit there nicely. But is it realistic for the location? It doesn't hook directly to the orphan pump, and that pump looks like it belongs to the marina. The way we would fix that is, if we put a Brads there with a fuel pump and fuel trigger (and windsock), we could hang an "out of order" sign on the marina pump.   This is a "could be done" project. My question is, would anybody but you and me know it was there and would ever use it?  In summary, it is "can do" ... but is the reason compelling enough?  The "fun" of these things is figuring out how to "beat" the software and make it happen ... this is how I'd do it. These are the kinds of discussions that are good to share.  But I'd really rather go after any fuel pumps WE have put in that we haven't triggered. Lord knows I don't want to fix a thousand ORBX fuel pumps. :-)

Doug
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:04:20 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
Per Rod's Comment:  We only have FOUR of our airports now that have ADEX bgls for the airports that "hold" fuel triggers, NDBs and Windsocks. There likely will be FIVE (one coming shortly). You DO NOT want to play with the ADEX file ... trust me, it is like playing with explosives! :-) So all the rest of our airports, and probably those new ones built in the future, will be done NOT using the ADEX file for these addons.  This way, YOU can select the options you want rather simply. If you look at the coming Kasaan_Upgrade that will be available soon, you will see four files in the scenery folder for that location (see below). Notice how they are CLEARLY labeled ... you can tell which one is the windsock or NDB or Fuel Trigger. On the locations where these options were added separately and not in the ADEX, all are as clearly marked as these ... very easy for you to see.

In this case, if you do not want the fuel trigger, you simply go into the scenery folder, find the bgl with the fuel trigger in it ... in this case Kasaan Fuel Trigger.BGL.  You change the BGL to OFF, becoming Kasaan Fuel Trigger.OFF.   That turns off that feature, the fuel trigger will no longer be active. To reactivate it, you simply change OFF to BGL and it is turned on.

Rod has given us the advantage of being able to add these separately, which gives YOU the option of using them or not.  Based on some earlier content in this thread, that would be a good strategy to please everyone.  Hope that clears it up.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:31:42 PM by Doug »