Author Topic: Fuel Management Project for RTMM  (Read 17818 times)

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
Re: Fuel Management Project for RTMM
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Awesome! Hats off to Doug & the project team!  :-*

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
Give it a try.  It has a 50 foot "footprint" taking in both the landing pad and the truck. I can make one JUST for the truck that is about 10 X 10 if that is what you want.  This one handles "both" so only one trigger needed.  Remember this is "beta" until Spud gives us a "go" for it. But you can download it from the scenery page ... I've made no notation there that the file is upgraded. See what you think, then we'll make it official if it is what you need.

Trex3D

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »
I tend to agree what corbu1 stated earlier that sometimes we helo pilots don't need to refuel everytime we land on a helipad if a nearby, landable fuel truck or pump (in case of airfields or docks) can do this purpose. Besides, we love the challenge of precision landings. So just the fuel truck will do the cut..and so goes with other similar fuel truck objects in RTMM. Just my 2 cents  8) Maybe other rotorheads here would also like to chime in.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:49:53 PM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Tincup is ready for prime time now!!!!
 8)
Later,

Spud

Trex3D

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Thanks a lot Spud! Buck just radioed in that he's giving away free tankful of Avgas to his first 10 visitors, you & Doug included. The rest is up for grabs  :P

Doug

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
I got ADE to make us fuel starts, so for many you can start right at the fuel box from the "create scenario" screen. You change airports and on that screen you can choose a start point from the drop down, lower right. On the new table on the FAQ page, when the names are linked, the airport is ready for download. Until then it is either being processed or is in QC with Spud. Linkage is your signal that it is ready for download.

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
My first request is Stewart. CZST.  N55.56  W 129.59. We fly multiple flights out of Stewart but there is no fuel there. There is a tank there that could possibly be activated or a whole new fuel pump installed. That's for you guys to decide. Just passing along my observation.
                                       JJ

Another suggestion is a separate thread just for posting new fuel dock locations, but who knows, this may be the only one. You guys know better than I. ::)
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
I would do it, but that airport has an ORBX update that people use. So I stay from those airports when adding things, they even screw up the surrounding elevations for miles. So I don't place anything within 5 miles of those anymore. I did put fuel station at all CIRP ice stations this afternoon, those are close, up in the mountains above Stewart. I won't put up a special version for the update anymore. We tried that at PAKT and are still trying to recover.  There is a Brads BBQ downriver that will have fuel soon.

Doug

jsapair

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Thanks, Doug. Good point on the ORBX enhancement. That's why you guys get the big bucks and I fly for beer. I'll continue to call 'em in when I see possibilities though. There's one in particular I have in mind, visually, an 'eye candy pump', but I'll be damned if I can remember where it was. It'll come up again. Just gotta keep flying.
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
There are a bunch of them (eye candy pumps) because we used that dock object with the pump on the end often. I hope as folks fly and encounter them they will let me know on this thread. I'd like to either activate them or hang an " out of order" sign on them. I'm doing the Tongass X airports now. Some are just little docks and SPB's. After those come Are done I will start on the Brad 's BBQs. Those are naturals for fueling stations.

If you look at the table on the top of the FAQ page, it has grown rather nicely. As Spud does the QC, I'll activate the links on the airport names to the left. Step one will be getting these operational and listed, step two is figuring out how to use them for planning purposes. Ideas are welcome on that discussion.

jsapair

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
SPB's are big. It's sometimes very frustrating to have fuel 100 yards away on shore but you have no access to it in a float plane. Preaching to the choir here, I know. I'm just glad that you guys are on it.
                                          JJ

Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
Update by Doug and Spud

If you are watching the Table at the top of the FAQ page, you will see that is is coming along nicely and is nearing completion. Our goal is to have it completed this coming week for you.  Our initial goal was all about fuel management and giving you multiple fuel addition locations. But we also added windsocks and NDBs. Along the way, we found many details that needed correcting, and we fixed those. (Small things, like a hanger missing, a static plane too close to a fuel pump, wrong runway startup numbers, etc). Most people would not notice any of these, but we fixed them as we went.

This is how we found the rather major problem at PF01 K'meen River Bear Lodge. Rod and Steve helped us fix that one, and that is why you saw the NOTAM of the update. Rod did a complete update on this one solving the problems. You should replace that one soon if you have not already done so.

The table, although it is starting to look like it, IS NOT READY FOR USE. Don't "play" with anything below the RED LINE. Spud and I are continually changing and working on it ... we will let you know HERE and by NOTAM when it is ready for you to use.

So there is now fuel at most critical locations ... there are windsocks at all of them and some "fuel start" boxes on some. Note from the table, there were also a few locations where nothing was done, so there will be no need to re-download those.

There is one more addition you have the option of having. Notice the yellow boxes. These indicate that the NDB for that airport location is available for download in the file you will find at the bottom of the table. There is one for the PFxx airports called RTMM PFxx NDBs.zip and another for TFxx airports called RTMM TFxx NDBs.zip. "How" to install these is made clear in the readme that comes with the download. This gives you NDBs for ALL airports in PFxx and TFxx areas. If you do not want these, you do not need to download them. Some people do not feel they are realistic, but others will enjoy "flying the needle" to their next location. It is optional ... your option.

We could use your help at this point. Look at the instructions for the tables and let us know if there are any parts of those instructions that are not clear. We'll work on them until everybody understands what is needed.

Also, notice there is a TO-DO Projects list at the bottom of the table. This is where we will put your suggestions and work on them.  Many of these will be fuel pump docks that we find and upgrade, these will mostly be non-airport locations.

What we thought would be a few hours of work, literally has been some long days and nights. My thanks to Spud, Rod and Steve for their help on this project ... we solved some very interesting problems and have corrected a lot of small details. Overall, this will make all of our updated locations more realistic and more error-free.  Again, I don't feel any of these except PF01 are critical ... it's all in the details.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:30:32 PM by Doug »

jsapair

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Remarkable work, and hats off to you guys that are quietly working "in the trenches" to satisfy us "Bush Junkies". Humble appreciation to all of you. Love you guys but my Bud Lite is still out of the question. Gotta draw the line somewhere. :)

JJ
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
Fuel Management Project - Home Stretch

OK, on the home stretch.  From here on out, we could use YOUR help. Keep an eye out for the fuel dock objects that we've placed in many locations. When you find one, let me know. It must either have an "out of order" sign on it or be made into a fuel trigger to deliver fuel. Also, for the helicopter folks, if you see a pad that needs a nearby windsock, let us know. We are just doing some final QC checks and we'll be finished and turn the table "loose" to you, but we will keep working on updates when they are needed.

• NOTAM: remember, these "updates" are only for fuel, windsocks and 4 permanent NDB's. If these are not important to you, then you need not bother with any of these updates.  For the new people, they automatically will have the updates when they download from the Scenery Page.  Also, if you update, please use the SAFE "Delete/Replace" method of updating. take out the old scenery folder and replace it with the new one. The folder names are all the same so you won't have to do anything in the scenery library.

Also, are there any "fuel holes" in what we've done. Long expanses that could use a fueling location. We have a new object coming that you will LOVE for helicopter and float plane fueling. We can literally place these ANYWHERE.  Personally, I'm very excited about these new objects Steve has made for the coming object library update.

So, send us your ideas, we'll try to fit them into the project list area at the bottom of the Airports table on the FAQ page.

Supplemental NDB Packages

If you look at the bottom of "Table 1 and Table 2" you will see a folder that can be downloaded and set up like a scenery folder that gives you NDBs for every PFxx and TFxx airport.  Some people will not want to do this as it is not realistic. But for others (like me), it is a lot of fun. They all seem to be working well and it is great flying the needle at low altitude (because the mountains keep you from doing a straight line) so you have to figure out how to get to where the needle is pointing. You'll see some very different scenery using the ADF.  The weather up there has been clear the last few days, so I've been flying at 3000 feet following the needle on the ADF. (I didn't know my Misty Beaver could fly that high! :-). It is nice to see RTMM from a higher altitude.  If you download and install the NDBs, if you later decide you do not want them, you just uncheck them in the scenery library or delete them.

Another side note, after all the fuel management project work ... you'll be happy to know I have now unchecked by "Unlimited Fuel" button ... and I can run out of gas, just like the real people do. I had to add the Aerosoft fuel gauge to my little mini panel. Fun to watch it fill up when you pull up to the fuel triggers.

You can click on the pic to enlarge it. The new fuel gauge is to the right. (And notice it is FULL!!)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:11:29 PM by Doug »

SkipperMac

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
Ok, I haven't flown in the Mistys for quite some time, and I haven't been in the forum either recently. I know, my bad! :(

But all this talk about fuel boxes really worries me. I mean REALLY worries me. I don't just hate the things, I absolutely, utterly and totally ABHOR the things. In fact, I hate them SO much that I've considered employing someone to write a program that would REMOVE them from EVERY file in FSX!

And then I sign in here and what do I read? Your ADDING the blighters!

Ok, someone please put my mind at rest and tell me these are only for helipads that I'll never come within a beagle's gowl of! Me and choppers don't agree, so if this doesn't affect land or seaplanes, then I'm cool since you all seem perfectly happy with this development.

And if anyone knows how to turn them off universally, I will be forever in your debt. :)
SkipperMac

i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit