Author Topic: The Dockside at Herring Bay  (Read 8076 times)

pipeorgan

Re: The Dockside at Herring Bay
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
Wow! that's excellent Doug, look forward to it. :)
Cheers

john

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
Well, we went through several iterations, but finally, the package is ready.  It is now called the Herring Bay Sea Plane Base and Diner!  It is NOT compat with PAKT SP1.  But it is a lot of fun to fly to if you want that short little trip at the end of a day. Misty's Place is only about 15 minutes away.  You can find it now under "H" on the Scenery Page.

pipeorgan

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
Thanks Doug, just visited the diner, had a walk around and then flew back to Misty. Awesome;)
Cheers

john

pipeorgan

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
It is in testing phase now, and if approved may be offered to others here with the payware PAKT airport active.  (that's just me talking)  Wish me luck.

Fantastic news Jeff but how did you get the ORBX PAKT to install in P3DV2.2 as I had heard somewhere that it could not be installed with the Estonia Migration tool?
Cheers

john

pipeorgan

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 04:11:39 AM »
OK, I appreciate your position :) problem is for me I cannot see a triple installer for PAKT any time soon. I believe that the developer has left  Orbx and given them the source code so they will have to find someone else to take it on :( Do miss it though with all the slopes etc., quite a master piece.
Cheers

john

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Actually, I think part of the slow down in triple installers for old ORBX Payware airports is because they are not quite as compatible as you might think in P3D.  All may look correct but ORBX used a lot of sneaky little tricks to accomplish their magic.  Some of those tricks worked in FSX but do not work in P3D and I think that is part of the problem. If you have created complex  scenery using a trick that happens to work in FSX, you have a really big problem when it doesn't work in P3Dv2.   

We saw a good demo of one of those tricks when we had the inadvertent placement of a very unique  ORBX object in the Annette Island FlyIn which had no ill effect under FSX but caused disappearing objects when activated under P3Dv2. 

I am guessing that is part of the delay.

Rod

pipeorgan

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff I'll have a go. "Mum's the word" so I will not tell anyone about the hints that I have received ;)
Cheers

john

pipeorgan

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
I am sure that you are right Rod, I only hope the the delay does't turn into a stop for the PAKT triple installer.
Cheers

john

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 12:26:01 AM »
John,
ORBX PAKT, as you said, was developed by a person no longer associated with ORBX and to obtain the sloping taxiways that are a part of the real Ketchikan airport special "tricks", as Rod says, were employed.  The runway is placed higher than the default FSX PAKT and the taxiways are not actually taxiways but sloped polygons.  The real FSX taxiways MUST be located on flat terrain.  It is a limitation of the FSX engine and consequently you can not have any parking/start locations on the tarmac and AI aircraft can not be made to use the "taxiways" as they are not actually taxiways.  AI aircraft can land at ORBX PAKT but they never taxi off the runway just simply disappear.  The use of these and other work around techniques which I'm not aware of probably make it much more difficult to provide the 3-way installer to make the airport P3D compliant hence the delay in its conversion.  This possibly may be the reason the Estonia Migration Tool has been reported to be unsuccessful.
RTMM asked to be included in the testing phase of PAKT due to so much of the early scenery was grouped close to that airport and ORBX ignored us completely.  When the difficulty with P3D and Herring Bay SPB and Diner cropped up Doug found out from Holger Sandmann that the scenery and shorelines for a very far distance from the airport had been altered with PAKT's release.  This has resulted in the RTMM latest scenery for Herring Bay to be in the water if you are usingORBX PAKT due to the different shorelines from that package.  This is why the scenery is not ORBX PAKT compliant.
 8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:51:51 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

pipeorgan

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Thanks Spud for the clarification. The situation seems to be in a bit of a mess so I won't count on PAKT being resolved for P3DV2.x any time soon. Shame about the none co-operation with RTTM over Herring Bay as the products from both sides usually mesh together so well :-\
Cheers

john