Author Topic: Cabins, Lighthouses and Oil Rigs  (Read 7715 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Cabins, Lighthouses and Oil Rigs
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Just wanted to say that I finally took the time to dl the flight plans for ALL the above and filed them (cabins) by ranger district. Took some time to accomplish but well worth it. I can only imagine the amount of work that went into creating and compiling it all. Hats off and humble thanks to the RTMM team. You guys never cease to amaze me with your incredible work. (The above testimony was by a paid spokesperson.) Just kidding. A truly awesome collection that will provide many hours of beautiful flying.
Jsapair

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Cabins, Lighthouses and Oil Rigs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
I think Holger's original intent was to place the cabins "out there" and let people try to find them ... knowing they were in a general area.  But even with the flight plans, these can be tough to find. It is amazing how TINY a cabin is out in the vastness of RTMM.  The cabins are the simplest scenery locations we have ... and among the most beautiful.  They are "real" and the reason they are where they are is because they were built to attract people to the wilderness.  And all these years later, they are still booked way ahead.  So flying "The Cabins" will give you a real feel for the back country and what it is like to actually "be there".

When I have nothing to do (which seems rare these days with all the library work, etc) I pick a cabin and fly to it.  Don't forget, they all have a "starting point" so you can place yourself in front of the cabin and fly back to PAKT or one of the larger airports. Sometimes flying back is just as much fun.  You can use the GPS to direct to PAKT, but at 1200 feet ... better be ready to dodge some mountains then come back onto the flight path. Another different experience.

Glad you are enjoying this part of RTMM ... still among my personal favorites.

Doug

Lonewolfee1

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:46 AM »
Lake Salmon Cabin is 200 or so feet up in the air for me.  Not had any problems with others.  Any ideas?

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
Great Catch!  We never saw that one, because when we were looking for the cabins (missing cabins), we searched around the lake, never thought to look UP!  So you are correct, there is indeed a cabin flying in the air at Lake Salmon.  You can see the RTMM Cabin below it where that one should have been. Notice there is no white bgl identifier on the cabin (IS3 searches all close by bgl's and identifies each object) ... on our's you will see it is the missing cabins bgl identifiers.  So this one is a mystery, we're going to have to do some digging to see where it comes from, I'm betting Tongass.

For anyone interested, you can see it if you position your aircraft at:

N55 34.8724
W132 40.3262
Alt 481
Heading 46.2

We will see what we can do about this one, but it is not something "we" put in or the bgl indicator would be on it telling us it was ours.

Thank you for the discovery.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:20:43 AM by Doug »

Dieter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
This is in the Hollis area.
Is it possible that this flying cabin is misplaced from the Hollis software?
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Hi ... I sort of doubt it. The reason I say that, I used the IS3 "extras" BGL scan for all bgl objects within a 10 mile area. Anything else in the area shows up fine ... but that cabin isn't captured by the scan ... if it were part of Hollis, I'm betting the bgl would have been identified.  A mystery.

D

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »
Maybe hang a rope ladder from it and re-name it Sky Ranch. Just trying to help 8)

jsapair
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
Salmon Lake Cabin ... the flying cabin should be "gone."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:00:16 PM by Doug »

Dieter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »
==> Salmon Lake Cabin ... the flying cabin should be "gone."

Hmmh, sorry, where do I find the solution?
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Lonewolfee1

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »
I've been slowly making my way to each point in Tongass including the cabins.  CSV file helped alot in Plan G.  Glad I could help in finding that one.  And yes - where do I download the fix?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:07:11 AM by Lonewolfee1 »

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
The Misding Cabins has been updated, the problem was in there.

D

Dieter

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
Sorry, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see an update here:
http://return.mistymoorings.com/cabins/index.php
Many greetings
Dieter

Doug

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
I didn't put the update date on it, sorry. If you download the RTMM Missing Cabins.zip file, you will see an updated bgl in the /scenery folder for Salmon Lake dated 02.07.2017. That is the correction.

Doug

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
All looks good now!

Rod