Author Topic: Adding repaints to your FSX folder  (Read 18271 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Adding repaints to your FSX folder
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
I appreciate that not everyone knows how to "build in"  a new aircraft livery in to FSX and I am lazy when it comes to re-writing all my "readme" text files.

It isn't difficult and nothing to be frightened of. Just think what is needed as the end result and follow the few simple steps.

Very briefly it's a case of making a new folder for the texture files, where that aircraft belongs. Then you have to tell FSX where to find that livery folder, which you do by copy and paste and a little bit of editing.

What now follows is a general guide to adding liveries - especially if you didn't get a text file from the author, i.e. me.

Generic "ReadMe" that should work for most Eagleskinner paints

READ ME - VERY IMPORTANT BITS FIRST

Repaint name: Whatever it says on the zip file

If you are downloading an EagleSkinner "Super High Definition" (4096 pixel square) or "High Definition" (2048 pixel square) texture set, please read the following:

Microsoft Flight Simulator needs to be "told" to load textures of a different resolution to the default 1024 pixel squares.

To do this, you need to open the FSX config file and edit it.

Open windows explorer and go to C:\Users\[...your user name...]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (you may need administrator rights to access the AppData directories).

Open the file fsx.CFG in any text editing program - the Windows built in Editor works fine.

Scroll down (or use the search function) until you find the section [GRAPHICS] and look for the line "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024" and change the value to 4096.

Save the fsx.CFG and then start the simulator. Now... FSX has a bad habit of resetting the configuration for many reasons, so you may have to check this value often.

OR YOU CAN DO THIS:

Visit http://www.frostysoftware.com (yes, the site is under construction, but the file you need is on the notification page).

From the Frosty Software front page, you can download a very useful little program called "Texture Max Load Editor" (TMLE). This free application sets up a small module that is started when you start Flight Simulator. When FSX starts, a second, smaller, window will open on your screen and allow you to configure FSX according to the aircraft texture needs.

The beauty of TMLE is that it does all the fsx.CFG editing for you. It is free. It works in the background and does not use any more resources once it has reset the configuration.

Now on to the repaint:

Repaint name: Whatever it says on the zip file

Painter's notes and Installation instructions.

This paint has been prepared by Chris Brisland.

www.eagleskinner.com

e-mail: christopher@brisland.com

This paint is for: Model description here

Original copyright for this aircraft with [Developer name here]. Please respect copyrights and intellectual property rights.

NOTES

any notes I may have

INSTALLATION

This zipfile contains only those textures actually changed during the painting process.

Open your FSX aircraft folder for this particular download - it will be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\[the sub-folder name should be inserted here, i.e. \Airplanes or \Rotorcraft]

Unzip the contents of this zipfile into this folder. You will now see a new folder called C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\[Rotorcraft\Bell412_EP\Texture.N911FR - given only as an example - this will need to differ according to the paint]

Next open the aircraft.cfg file with any text editor program (Windows editor does the trick) and find the last block of text that starts with a line [fltsim.x] where the x will be a sequential number which starts at flightsim.0 and goes on for as many variants of the model are installed. Copy the last complete fltsim.x block and paste it into the aircraft.cfg below the previous last entry. Example, if the black text below is the last fltsim.x block...

[fltsim.1]
title=A2A Piper Cub Ski 2
sim=PiperJ3s
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=swiss
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=HB-ONP
atc_id_color=
ui_manufacturer="A2A Piper"
ui_type="J-3 Cub w/skis"
ui_variation="Swiss"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="A2A Simulations Inc."
description="The Piper Cub embodies the very essence of the romance and gypsy-lure of flying. Its design is one of the most fundamental expressions of the basic, primal relationship between pilot and airplane; and few airplanes define “stick and rudder” more faithfully and distinctly than does the Cub."

Then you simply copy and paste that block in below and increment the fltsim.x number. In the example below you can see several lines highlighted. You MUST edit these so that FSX can recognise the fact that it has to display a new plane in the aircraft selection menu. Remember - these lines in red should be unique for each paint you add. The lines below are examples only and will look different for each model. If you really do have problems, drop me an e-mail and I will see if I can help.

[fltsim.1]
title=A2A Piper Cub Ski 2
sim=PiperJ3s
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=swiss
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=HB-ONP
atc_id_color=
ui_type="J-3 Cub w/skis"
ui_variation="Swiss"
description="The Piper Cub embodies the very essence of the romance and gypsy-lure of flying. Its design is one of the most fundamental expressions of the basic, primal relationship between pilot and airplane; and few airplanes define “stick and rudder” more faithfully and distinctly than does the Cub."

[fltsim.2]
title=A2A Piper Cub Ski paint by eagleskinner
sim=PiperJ3s
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=**** (the zipfile you downloaded will be called texture.****.zip - replace the asterisks with the file name)
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=whatever the aircraft reg is
atc_id_color=
ui_type="J-3 Cub w/skis"
ui_variation="Eagleskinner's ride"

Now go flying and have fun

###########################################################

Maybe Doug would care to place a sticky on this and a link from the downloads page.

For my part I will try at the very least to copy the config text over for you downloaders. This generic readme is ten times longer than it needs to be if you are a regular adder of skins, but I am trying to cover all bases.
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Adding repaints to your FSX folder
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »
Chris ... sticky set. Also I put your basic instructions on the FAQ page under "R" for "Repaint Installation"

Doug

Laagvlieger

Re: Adding repaints to your FSX folder
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:26:53 AM »
Thank you very much for your repaints, I like them really very much!
But...
Indeed you wrote under your clean and dirty cockpit drawings these are high resolutions drawings… Wich means 2048 pixels
But I can't found anything about resolutions on your Beaver repaints...
Are these low resolution, high or super high wich means something like 504, or 2048 or 2096 pixels?

All these because of the TMLE you are talking about in the downloaded zipfiles.

Laagvlieger
Wife, Volkswagen California, Laptop, Lochitech Extreme 30 PRO, headphone with mike, mouse, etc. :-)