Author Topic: Back in the world. (sort of)  (Read 6309 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Back in the world. (sort of)
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
hey guys,
Last Sat, my old computer's mother board went out to lunch and after the repair guy found out there was too much damage to repair I bought a new system.  Of course I'm not WIN 7 literate so I have to rely on the try and see method of setting things up.  Because the old box used a RAID Stripe HD setup and you have to have the controller that set up the array I was not able to transfer data from one computer to the next so I'm starting from scratch again.  Consequently I'll be awhile before FSX is up and running again.  Probably lost some payware in the process due to everything being downloads now days.  At least I should experience better performance from the new system.

BTW here is a rundown of the new system. Because I was in a hurry to get in business I bought a box from TECH Advanced that was prebuilt by them.

CPU INTEL I7-3820 3.60 GHZ LGA2011
MBD INTEL DX79SI LGA2011
MEMORY CRUCIAL 16GB DDR3 PC3-10600 NON-ECC
HD WD BLACK 1TB SATA 3 HDD
DVD-RW ASUS 24X DVE-RW SATA
CASE COOLMASTER ELITE 431 PLUS ATX
OS MS WIN7 HOME PREMIUM
PS THERMALTAKE 550W (a but low but I don't multi-task much)
VIDEO MSIGEFORCE GTX 760 2 GB FAN/HEATSINK
CPU COOLER INTEL RTS201AC COOLING FAN/HEAT SINK
 8)
Later,

Spud

dexthom

Re: Back in the world. (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:46 PM »
Looks like that will do the job for you Spud.  Just take your time and put it back at your leisure.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Yay!!!  ;D  I mean, . . . um.  Sorry your computer died Spud. :'( 

Congrats on getting a new machine.  It looks like a good one.   8)

You should be able to easily re-download your payware.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:43:26 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles Spud, but glad you'll have a good machine for the future!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
Right on Spud! You've got the CPU, the GPU and the RAM thing going. You'll only need more power if you start playing the newer games, and somehow I don't see you playing the new Grand Theft Auto anytime soon.  New 'puters are a major pain in the butt...no getting around it...but worth it. At least you'll have a lot of newer 64 bit programs when you're done. Let us know how your progressing. :)

Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
Had some problems getting teamspeak, headset and desk speakers to work properly but with help I think it is sorted now.
I have FSX and ORBX software I own all installed and running smoothly.  Been re-installing RTMM today and yesterday and I'm up to Halibut Cove now going from the top of the list down.  Have to install the seasonal switcher now and try that out.  Just like eating an elephant ya gotta do it one bite at a time!  ::)
 8)
Later,

Spud

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
Nothing better than a new rig and yours is a sweet one Spud.  looking forward to seeing s few screenies soon....congrats. 
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
Well I've been spinning my wheels for the better part of the week trying to get FSX/ORBX etc. working.  I think my WIN 7 skills amount to pissing in the wind because either this computer erases folders etc. on its own or I'm doing it in my sleep.  Re-installed FSX 7 times in the past few days.  First install was working good at first but seemed to slowly fade into oblivion over time.  Example it was working fine when I went to bed one night started it up the next morning and the start up screen was totally black an it would not initialize an aircraft.  Went to the change A/C screen and it was blank (black as well).  Checked the FSX folder and the Simobjects folder was totally missing.  These type of things keep cropping up.  I had re-downloaded all my ORBX purchases and saved them to my HD and then noticed after I had installed all North America that the folder for my Australian scenery was GONE!  Either I have grimlins of major brain farts!!!!!
But I'll either get r' done or shoot the SOB one of the other.  :-X
This morning got up at 0430 and installed the sim AGAIN (we will not even go into the hour and a half it took me to find out why it wouldn't work).  Any way PNW, patch 005, FTX Library, FTXGlobal v1.0 and v1.1 are now installed and working.  Now I know why some people drink!!  :o
 8)
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Weird. Don't ever install FSX on a Win7 machine inside of Program Files (x86). Install it outside in a separate folder! It can give you all kinds of administrator rights headaches, to say the least. Also make sure you can see hidden folders by unchecking them in folder options. If you think you've lost a folder. look for it with the search function Windows icon, (lower left corner of desktop, lowest line, just enter a file or folder name) to make sure it isn't hiding from you for some reason.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
FSX is in its own folder C:/FSX and I have UAC disabled on my machine, so Administrator rights are no problem.  I suspect most of my WIN7 difficulties are operator caused by all the dumb changes M$ made to the OS.  Main reason for WIN7 for me is that I have 16MB of memory on this machine and XP would only use 3MB.
Yesterday I installed ORBX PNW, SP005 and FTXGlobal and then everything to do with Australia that I have including ORBX, OZx, Ants airports and everything is working so far.  I'll attempt to re-install the rest of North America today and see how it goes.
I must say the scenery looks quite good with all sliders either maxed to the right or set according to ORBX recommendations.
Still struggling with WIN7 file handling system though (it SUKS)
 8)
Later,

Spud

av8erjm

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »
My experience with Win 7 is unthink everything XP and use the search engine a lot to find out where stuff disappears to, I see the best advice you've  already done by not downloading it into PF x86, that caused me to uninstall and start again, good luck

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Search function is WIN7 and me just seem to not understand one another.  I type in a search and before I even get finished typing it pops up telling me it didn't find anything!?   :o
Oh well today I finally got all my ORBX, OZx, and Tongass Fjords X installed and working.  Been here before and even got RTMM scenery installed through the L's before everything went west and I lost all video in FSX.  Just a nice black screen and sound.  (No it wasn't night ;D)
Oh I'll get there eventually, maybe not a direct route but I can always sneak up on it!  ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »
A basic question, but are you running FSX in Win XP mode? If not that will cause some problems in Win 7...takes the program back down to 32 bits. I didn't have any problems with the default install in Win7, but with UAC disabled of course. I like going with the defaults because that's where all your add-ons look for it. Gotta be something simple like the above, Spud. You shouldn't be having these problems with a clean machine and a new install.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:42:49 PM by jsapair »
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »
I figure if I cuss the machine out often enough it will finally get it together. ???
Actually, If I have any more problems I'll just not install the scenery.  ::)
Ok two untruths in one day is enough.  ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
Spud, did you see my question? Are you running FSX in Win XP mode?
Jsapair