Author Topic: [SOLVED] Well duh! Can't get things installed  (Read 8756 times)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
[SOLVED] Well duh! Can't get things installed
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
Always HATE it when this happens. Been tinkering with FS's for over 35 years and then some simple bit of scenery won't install... Grrrrr...

Maybe it is because I also HATE the Addon Scenery folder and refuse to use it in general. I don't like the 'garbage dump' folders where you can't find anything back in, so for FSAddon - and most of my other add-on sceneries - I just make separate folders, preferably OUTSIDE of FS(X). For some reason only Misty's will install.... as soon as I try any of the others though, FSX just doesn't let me click 'OK' after adding scenery.

Also, the Misty's that I installed seems incomplete. No hangars, smoke floating in the air somewhere.. just a few static aircraft and green trees.
So I guess the EZ_1 stuff doesn't go well either on my installation (I put that in the Addon Scenery folder - grudgingly ... ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:26:47 PM by Francois »
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Well duh! Can't get things installed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
Yep. Sounds like the EZ_1.zip file installation could use a good read from our readme file. It's not to complicated but does have a specific step by step process that you have to abide by.

Give her another shot, Francois.

Brad

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
Still no dice. Things go wrong when I have located the 'EZ Scenery Library' folder and then click 'OK'.

FSX now SHOULD start recompiling, but it doesn't. It just OPENS the EZ Scenery Library folder and shows subfolders, thereby also clearing the input field for Directory.

It does the same with Nina's Landing, Totem Bright and Hunter Bay. It ONLY works with Misty's Place.

Weird! In the old days (FS2004) this behavior meant there wasn't a 'texture folder' in the added area, but FSX shouldn't worry about that anymore.

Ideas!?

... and the man's blog

GrahamP

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
Are you using Windows 7, Francois?  Is so, after clicking OK, you need to left or right click on the folder pane.
Graham

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
No Vista 64, but I'll try it anyway :-)

... and the man's blog

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
Sounds like the way windows 7 behaves.

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
Weird.
After much restarting and clicking in various places and in various sequences, I now have added Misty's and Nina's... but none of the others.

Also, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. I just noticed the proper one further down the list  :-[

... and the man's blog

GrahamP

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
It's a known issue with W7 and it sounds like you're getting the same.  I've been through the same difficulties until I got the hang of it, sometimes getting it to work and sometimes not.

This what works for me:
In Scenery Library:
Click on Add Area
Navigate to and double click on the folder you want to add
The scenery folder (and texture folder if applicable) should then be showing in the left hand pane
Click once on OK
The path will then be highlighetd in the Directory box
Right click in the left pane.
Graham

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks Graham, I'll try for a bit longer. If I can't get it to work I'll try building an installer for the scenery I want. I haven't had any problems with 'installed' scenery for the past 3 years on this machine. Maybe that helps :-)

... and the man's blog

Francois

• FS Veteran
Re: [SOLVED] Well duh! Can't get things installed
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
Found the problem !!!

I had files in the MAIN scenery folder, other than sub-folders. (Like the jpg pictures and the flightplan file(s)).
Apparently FSX does not like that when adding such a folder to the scenery list.

I solved it by adding another sub-folder to the 'scenery' and  'texture' folder and putting those loose files in there.

NOW it WORKS !!

... and the man's blog

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
Good to hear you got it working.

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
It was the solution for three of the six folders... not for all. But I added the entries manually to the scenery.cfg now and THAT seems to be the ultimate solution. That probably also explains why it works when I use my Installer Software... our products never had these sort of problems, because the installer updates the scenery.cfg. It seems like FSX itself has a problem with it sometimes.

Now I'll try to get that EZ Library added as well in the same way....

... and the man's blog

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
Francios,
remember that a couple of scenery files offered by RTMM have a flatten file included that must be placed in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/World/scenery folder and not in the folder you put into the Addon Scenery folder of FSX.
Easy to miss, ask me how I know?
 :D
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
Ah!
Haven't encountered that yet.

Methinks the files would be easier to handle when embedded in an installer  :)

Maybe I'll make one......

... and the man's blog

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
Actually it's an ALT file, these are created when the altitude of an airstrip is changed, it's easier to do it that way than to rebuild the airstrip again when you are fiddling about trying to get exactly the right alt for the strip that has the least impact on the surrounding terrain avoiding as much as possible the plateau effect.
The reason they go into the Scenery/world/scenery folder is because that gets loaded first by FSX and overrides the original altitude setting in the ADEX file.

Basically you have ALT files because I am too lazy to build a strip three times to get it absolutely right ;)

It's all easy enough once you get the hang of it though.