Author Topic: MM Ops (Misty Moorings Oil Platform Services)  (Read 31631 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
MM Ops (Misty Moorings Oil Platform Services)
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »
Well, Misty is becoming quite the entrepreneur. She opened up an Air Taxi Service at Wasilla, now she's opened up an Oil Platform Services terminal to service the (new) oil platforms that are placed by SAK out in the water off Kenai. The package comes with "how" to use the ENA VOR at 117.6 to find each one. A heading from the VOR is given, and a distance (DME). So even in bad weather you can find them. They have been added to the misty cabins database for FSDiscover which makes it even easier to find them. There is a dirt strip (short) for amphibians, docks for floats and ships/boats.  The facility is located 1.5 miles from Kenai Municipal (198 degrees).  The information for the Oil Platforms has been added to the USFS cabins page. (Of course you need ORBX SAK for this package).

LV-PDD

Re: MM Ops (Misty Moorings Oil Platform Services)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Wow, thanks Doug. I must try this. Downloading now
Paul
Buenos Aires. Argentina
"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life."
Igor Sikorsky, 1945

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
Have not made a close up inspection of the facility yet but looks great on a flyover this morning.  I did visit some oil rigs, can't say I'm real thrilled with those however.  SAK used four permanent massive brick or stone structures to hold up the platforms which I have never seen in real life especially in open water.
Still the helo platforms will give us a nice place to visit, I just wont look down.
 8)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Hi Doug,

A beautiful job!  I can't wait to visit.

Rod

retep49

• Daily Flightsimmer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
Wow, thanks Doug just downloaded and installed and made the first flight in the heli.
Looks very realistic and I have place with Instant Scenery a new Oil Platform that I have found in my libraries.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »
Agree on the oil platforms ... not the "coolest" object in the deck.  Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. But it is great for learning VOR navigation ... which I'm having some fun doing.  Getting to the first one, not to tough. But then pick another and figure out how to get there using the VOR and DME (without going back to MM Ops) ... that's fun.  I think this will be more fun for the helo guys ... probably fun to land on them. But anyway, they were "there" so why not put them to use.  I did find the gps coordinates that show up in the Google Earth database for SAK are not really too close to where they are in FSX.  I found many almost a mile off.  So the coordinates I've got for them are dead on for FSX.  The "mooring point" is the helipad at 124 feet ... so be careful if you use that and a plane ... best to give it a couple of "minutes" leeway and be in the water than in the rigging!

It is fun to fly it at night, coming in and out of the OPS center. If you've downloaded the strobes, I have the whole thing "lighted" so you can land at night. Fun to see at night.  Wish the rigs were better lighted like the real ones at night.  (you'll never attract any BIG shrimp with this lighting!!!). I just uploaded an update with the new lighting ... you guys might want a "reload".

Doug
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:09:05 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Doug,
great Job!!!! This is a great scenery especially for the heli-guys. Thanks very much again!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Doug.

Are you saying to redownload the MM-OPS addon,in the scenery downloads,that has night lighting.I installed MM-OPS a couple hours ago.
I just went back to the scenery downloads.I'm used to seeing in red.The scenery has been updated etc.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »
Doug.

Are you saying to redownload the MM-OPS addon,in the scenery downloads,that has night lighting.I installed MM-OPS a couple hours ago.
I just went back to the scenery downloads.I'm used to seeing in red.The scenery has been updated etc.

GrayRider

Yep, that what he's saying all right.    :)
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
Yep ... that's what I'm saying :-)   ... the rigs can be pretty well seen at night, so with the new night lighting at the MM-Ops ... flying around out there at night could be interesting.  I notice the helipads are lit fairly well also.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
We don't do much work for night time flying ... so a few things happen at night that don't happen in the daytime (besides going "bump"). Would you believe a terminal disappeared, then a ship, then the top part of an airplane. The "H" on the helipads disappeared.  I kept checking the sky for saucer shaped objects, but saw none. FSX has some ghosts in it I guess. Anyway, since this will/can be used at night, I've optimized it for day AND night ops. So once again, my apologies, I've altered the file.  The changes are minor, but things show up at night that had disappeared before.  Just delete the old folder and drop in the new one. Lets see if this works better. Let me know if you some something crazy ... (and if you see a saucer shaped object, let me know ... I KNOW they are out there in FSX!!)

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Doug,
you may be 'working' on the Oil Rigs at this time 1010 CDT 6/10/13 but clicking on the button for Oil Rigs does nothing just sits, no activity on the computer etc.  Light Houses and various Cabin sections work fine.
???
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
Thank you, got it fixed. The Button was ok the whole darned table disappeared. But it is back now, better than ever.  Thank you.
D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:58:29 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
Many thanks again!
I did yesterday some flights from MM Ops Base to the Oil rigs in this area.
MM Ops base is great. Looks beautiful!!

Well, the SAK Oil rig are no eyecatchers. Especially textures resolutions are very low, which makes landings on the helipads unpredictable without a Radar Altimeter.....but when you are not willing to land there, try setting some cargo via slingloads on the pads. This is a great challenging alternative and much fun when helo-flying!!!! :) :) :)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
Holger sort of warned me that the "object" was not too "exciting."  And they are not.  I did see an oil rig object in one of our object libraries. Maybe I should drag one out there and place it. If it is better, no reason we couldn't make our own oil field ... they have enough of them up there!

D