Author Topic: ISP taking their time again??  (Read 6768 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
ISP taking their time again??
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Noticed once again the slowdown in the forums.  Each time I try to open a forum or post an answer to a thread things just stop for about a minute.  I noticed that the little box in the lower left corner of my browser says "Waiting for foum mistymoorings.com" which I assume means that the ISP server is waiting to access mistymoorings.  Kind of reminds me of Trainsim.com where downloads are shared and take forever unless your a paid member.  Perhaps the ISP server is getting full and can't access our sight files quickly enough?
Hmmm,
I added to this post and now things were moving rapidly again I guess it is just a matter of taking your chances ATM.   Even late at night the wait is quite noticeable.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:49:26 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Re: ISP taking their time again??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
It's instantly opening up posts/pages for me right now.   There will be slow days here and there, as the hosting system is a shared one (dedicated is a lot more expensive).  It happens and I unfortunately can't contact them every time there's a "burp" in the slowness.   

That said, for me it's really fast right now.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Dan,
you posted while I was modifying my original post and yep it is great right now.  Shared server explains it.  Thought the performance might be cause by that.
Thanks for the info.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dan

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Here are the test results.  When the server is suffering, the load times will be 20-40+ seconds.  It's performing very fast right now.

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130524_AC_0db4858f51e3ca5c85d83038d871195d/

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Dan,
I looked at the test results but to be honest it is mostly "Greek" to me.  So much information there and I'm not certain what it all means.  Primarily I understand better what causes the slowdown occasionally now.  Just something that we have no control over, just have to 'grin and bear it' as they say.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
Dan,  are there particular times when there is less stress on the servers?  Might want to change when I check the site!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
No, there are not any particular times.  The site has been running very smoothly for me every time I've checked it lately.

In short the hosting service was targeted by DDOS attacks recently (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack).  I know a number of my friends who also use the same hosting service also had site performance issues due to this.      The hosting company has taken measures to lock down their network and neutralize the attacks, so performance is starting to come back.  They're a large company that has very good hardware setups and bw/storage allotments, I've been with them for over a decade and have been mostly happy.    While I use a shared hosting setup (dedicated hosting is cost prohibitive with our "Free" way of things here at RTMM), it's not your typical bargain shared hosting.  It's a solid host, typically.

That said, I'm never satisfied with slow performance..   I managed a production engineering team for years at my current job before I moved into more of the developer/designer role.  I'd deal with site slowness/downtime daily for major websites that you've likely heard of and visit.   It's a very frustrating role, because a lot of the time the resolution is out of your hands.   I have some ideas on how to improve things around here though, and I'm working towards that. 

While I can't make any promises, rest assured that I'm working on a solutions.   ;D

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
Dan,
 The forums seem to be running fast and smooth now. 
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Dexthom

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
The Forums are very slow for me now and has been for the past couple of days.  I sometimes give up and go on to other things.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Yes it has been slow for awhile but the server from the ISP is, I believe, sort of a time share for various sites much like flightsim.com does for downloading unless you purchase a membership from flightsim to speed up download access.  one time it jumps right into a forum and then it is very slow the next try a few seconds later.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
I agree, it's very slow in all forums now. Page loads are taking close to a minute for me.  :'(

Brad

Dan

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
There are plans in motion to fix this, but it requires a lot of prep work.     I'm trying to take care of that now.    Stay tuned for updates.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
That's a big 10-4 good buddy!  Oh wait ... wrong mode of transportation.
 ::)
Later,

Spud

Dan

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
That's a big 10-4 good buddy!  Oh wait ... wrong mode of transportation.
 ::)

;D