Author Topic: The Cabins Page - Update  (Read 12739 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
The Cabins Page - Update
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
We are upgrading The USFS Cabins webpage. (Go to Misty's Place, click on the USFS Cabins button).  We have now added all of the cabins that came to us in the SAK package. At the same time, we've taken on the task of adding all of the "missing" cabins that Tongass X, PFJ and SAK do not include.  Anything in BOLD type for the name is now "active". (Any location with "red" coordinates, is on our "due list).There is a link to the USFS cabin page for each particular cabin, there is a screenshot of the FSX cabin, a Plan-G map on how to get to the cabin, and a VFR flight plan that will guide you to it. There is also a GPS coordinate for the actual structure, and another for a starting point. (The starting point will position you at the location, adding the heading (given in degrees) will have you lined up correctly. Anything RTMM adds with have a green "R" after the cabin name. Look at the table LEGEND, a button is located at the top of each section, this will give you a key to the details on the page.

For the FSDiscover! fans among us. I do not yet have all the SAK cabins in the "mistycabins.dat" file. All of the previous cabin entries are there. But I've started at the top of the page and am coming down the list, adding the FSDiscover! data as I make the cabins and come down the list.  You'll see I am working on the Chugach Forest area at present and have about half of those done. The new "missing" cabins added are as follows:

Admiralty Island Area
   East Florence
   Distin Lake
   Hasselborg Creek
   Lake Alexander
   Lake Kathleen
   Sportsman's Lake

Chugach National Forest
   Aspen Flats
   Beach River
   Caribou Creek
   Cooper Creek Campground
   Crow Pass
   Dale Clemens
   Devils Pass
   Double Bay
   East Creek
   Fox Creek
   Goose Bay
   Granite Creek Campground
   Green Island   ================= as of May 12, 2013   

All of these are "new" locations for you to visit.  I'll keep you posted on progress on this thread and would appreciate anything you see that needs improvement as this (long) journey continues. This will take some time, but it is a great way to "learn" the new areas. Flying the cabins is a great way for our newcomers to quickly get active finding locations and enjoying the beautiful scenery of our "home" area.

On "The Cabins" page, there is an installation button that takes you to a zip button where you can download the missing cabins we have so far. You'll see a date there that gives you the date of the latest entry. The README for this file is also updated, so all of the new cabins will be listed there in the addendum. If you would just like to see the work we are doing, you can click on the (P) and (M) after each cabin's name and you'll get a picture of the location and see the map to it.

Most of our cabin entries have been on water. Some of these new ones are land-locked. You will need a helicopter or a tundra wheeled aircraft. Note also, don't expect a runway or a helipad at any of these. Those that need a helicopter or Tundra are marked with H and T after the cabin name.

Dieter Linde is looking over my shoulder on this project to make sure we get the placement correct ... he will later follow up with a file that will update your Plan-G program with all the new waypoints. My thanks to Dieter (as always) for his input on this and so many other projects at RTMM.

The work will continue, as you will see at the page there are many cabins still missing, so this is just a beginning of a much longer project. I will keep you posted here...let us know what you think.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:02:53 AM by Doug »

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
Re: The Cabins Page - Update
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »
Doug, this all looks VERY nice!   Got everything updated and ready to go explore them.  Thanks for all the hard work.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »
Doug,
what an amazing Job you did!!! Great! Thanks so much.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Handie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »
Thank you for this great work  8)
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
We found an error for the placement of Goose Bay. That has now been corrected.  Also, Xavier has made some small items for us that we are putting into these sceneries (small signs). You can download the latest RTMM Object Library now from the "installation" button on The Cabins page ... you'll see a zip button for it.

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
The small wooden plate looks very good. Thanks Xavier for the design.
It expresses the engagement of RTMM in the different areas and is not yet showy or cockily.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
Doug,
Just when you thought you could kick-back and relax. 
I was looking at the 'Cabin Page' and down in the lighthouse section I noticed something that could cause confusion.  It says to be sure and install the PFJ Service Pack One but the Service Pack is now up to 003
Recommend we just say install the latest PFJ Service Pack as the patches are cumulative and #1 is no longer available anyway.
Back to the grind!
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
Good catch Spud..I'll get in that this afternoon. I put 4 more cabins in, check the pic on Log Jam Bay...fun one.  All the zips are up to date as of 1:00 pm. This includes the FSDiscover file.

...update: Fixed the "Service Pack One", used your "recommended." Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:17:55 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
McKinley Trail Cabin, Hook Point and Log Jam Bay

Well, there was no cabin, and worse yet, no trail! How can you have a "McKinley Trail" cabin without a trail, and then where the heck are you going to park the cars? Oh me.  So you have to stop "hustling" to add 2 or 3 cabins in an evening and "fix" one correctly so it will be right for the long term. So Now there is a McKinley Trail, and a cabin to go with it ... and even a place to park your car.(...and YES I am having fun with this project). It is amazing to start with "nothing" (McKinley was just an open field) and "do" something with it that completely changes it. 

Sometimes the features of the raw scenery are not very pretty. What makes this fun is figuring out how to "cover" a bad feature with something that will make it pretty. On Hook Point, along the front of the the shore, about halfway up the hill was a bad "color riff" that really ruined this site. But alas, what a nice wooden fence will do to "fix" it for you. You can see the result on Hook Point.

Another "open field" was Log Jam Bay.  The cabin is positioned where there is no dock, but centered between the sea and a lake. No trees, just tundra ... so what do you do?  You make something "fun" out of something boring and chalk up another (not) Missing Cabin.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:44:04 PM by Doug »

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
You folks are simply incredible. Adding my humble thanks.
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
Chugach Forest Completed

All of the cabins are now represented for the Chugach Forest area. All of the missing cabins are now there, 30 new locations were added (all are listed in the readme from the Missing Cabins download). All have pictures of the cabin (P), Maps to get to them (M) and flight plans (F) designed for "low and slow" flying. Also, all of these were added to the FSDiscover "dat" file, so that is also up to date. Downloading the zip in the installation table on the "Cabins" page will get this for you. Make sure you use the new objects library you will find there too.

As mentioned earlier, part of the "fun" of this is starting with a "bare" piece of land that almost dares you to try to put something "there."  Port Chalmer Cabin is an example. You deal with the color scheme and topography you are given and use it to your advantage when adding a location. You can see the "before" and "final" for Port Chalmer below.

I put in a couple of "campground" (not all of them because they are very time consuming). But some are there so you can enjoy them. Below you will see the Porcupine Camp Ground.

Without having to download anything, you can always go to the Cabins page and just browse by hitting the "P" and "M" links so you can see what is being done.  The next section will be Hoonah.

D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:00:26 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
Hoonah Area Finished

We are filled in down through Hoonah. There are some beautiful areas around there, one flight that gives you a good "feel" for the area is a flight to Greentop Cabin.  The flight plan takes you "low and slow" among the mountains and fjords.
D

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Looks Fantastic Doug. Great effort on this.

Brad

Doug

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
Thank you Brad.

OK, we are "good" down the page through the Juneau table ... all FSDiscover data has been checked as well as locations. The "S" (SAK) cabins were added to the FSDiscover database too.  On the "installation" table there at the top of the page, you'll see a new "Project" document. If anyone is interested in keeping up with what we are doing (after learning why), I'm keeping a log starting on page 4. Some people have indicated they are downloading the new files as I put them up, so this will alert them to what changes have been made.  Note that the cabins for SAK are on the page below Juneau, but those below Juneau are not in FSDiscover ... they will get added as I come down the page.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
May 19 - Errors fixed that Dieter Found in previous work, stragglers in Ketchikan and Misty tables added. Added altitudes to all the structures in those two tables. Checked each FSDiscover location, all were correct. So we have two sections left, Petersburg Area and Sitka Area.  There are a lot yet to do, but looking at what has been done, we are ahead of schedule.  The latest work is available at the top of the page (Installation area).
D