Author Topic: The Cabins Page - Update  (Read 8269 times)

Handie

• View Profile
Re: The Cabins Page - Update
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:40 AM »
What a beautiful work !  8)
I have not yet had time to go to visit, but as soon as I can, it will be a pleasure to go there  :)
Nadine
i7-2600k à 4.5 GHz, Asus P8P67 Pro, Antec TruePower New 750, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - 8 Go, 2 VelociRaptor 600 Go, 1 WD 1 To, Corsair Vengeance Series 8 Go PC14900, Noctua NH-D14, Windows 7 ( 64 bits ), écran LG 34" 21:9 2560x1080, P3D v2.4.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • View Profile
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Thank you Handie.  Don't forget, you don't have to go there to see what is there, you can always browse the (P) links to see what to expect when you go or the (M) links to see if it is a route you would like to try. So you can kind of "go" without actually going there. The (F) links will give you the flight plan you see on the map, put that into your GPS and you are ready to go cabin hunting. I've kept most of the routes short and have tried to use as many different airports as I can. There are an amazing number of airports in SAK. The locations with a green "R" are the ones we have done..."S" are the ones put in by SAK, the "T" ones were put in by Tongas X.  Flying the "cabins" is a great way to learn a new area and get accustomed to the terrain.  Also each time I add a few, I finish my work in the evening with a new zip file for the scenery and for FSDiscover, and you can see what was updated from the Project Update document...all the latest work is always ready for download in the Installation section of the USFS cabins page.

I got an email inquiry from a REAL real estate firm yesterday asking if we would be interested in letting them list our locations. I get these often, people not realizing the sites are digital, not logs and rocks.  Someday I will say yes and see what happens. :-)  One fellow from Austria wrote me to say they are taking a vacation in Alaska and got interested in the cabins because he is a simmer. They are narrowing their search using our site so they can see the local terrain, they are hikers. I told him when he goes to take pictures of the real thing and send them to us and we would put them on the site...next year?

D

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
Update May 20 ... All is up to date from the top of the page down to Portage Bay Cabin in the Petersburg area. One water anomaly found, but we fixed it with a little sea wall (at Kadake). And a couple more screenshots just so you can see the "fun" I'm having. :-)  All the latest work is downloadable from the Installation section of the Cabins Page.
D

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
The Cabins Project is finished. There are a couple of clean-up things to do, but all of the 228 cabin locations are now listed on the page. A few screen shots are missing from the old ones and we'll add them later. RTMM put in 115 of the 228 cabins listed. We created locations that will, as much as we can, duplicate the picture of the actual cabin on the USFS site.

There are 930+ links on The Cabins page ... 232 screenshots, 228 maps, 228 flight plans.  My special thanks to Dieter Linde for tracking my progress on this project all the way. With so many links and gps co ordinates, it is easy to have a typo and put a cabin somewhere off Russia ... he was of immense help to make this project accurate.

You can find The Cabins page here: http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/cabins/index.php
or
Go to Misty's Place, and click on the "USFS Cabins" button.

You can view the mistycabins.dat file (for FSDiscover) here you will find the detailed listings of all the locations. All of the data was put in by hand and double checked in FSX, you can view it here: http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/cabins/zips/mistycabins.dat

Don't forget you can browse before you fly.  Clicking on a (P) to see a screen shot of the location, (M) to see a map of getting there and (F) will download the flight plan so you can use your GPS to find it.

Hope you enjoy it.
D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:52:01 AM by Doug »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
Fantastic work Doug,

Now just take some time to relax and get ready for Halibut Cove. We need you're talents utilized there too. Check out the Dropbox in my folder to see what I've started on. I think your area of coverage is across from the Saltry.

Brad

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Great work guys!  So many cool places to fly into and enjoy the  trip as well as the destination.  I especially like to follow the USFS links to the actual cabins and check out pics of the area before flying into them.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
Yikes ... try the tundra landing at Redoubt (short flight from PASI) ... petty, then white knuckles!!!
D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:56:11 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
Doug,
what an amazing work on the cabins project you did!!!!!! Thanks so much!
The Cabins page is a real dream for bush flyers.

Also, a big thank you to Dieter for helping with this project.
Regards from Munich, Germany

P3Dv4.1,FlyInsideP3d4,OpusFSI,REX4
i76700K 4Ghz;16GB RAM;Asus 2xGTX1080 SLI;SSD:Evo850 256GB Win10Pro64;Evo850 512GB P3D;HDD:1TB;27" Monitor;HTC Vive HMD;HOTAS Warthog;X52;VBS ProAT Pedals;iGMapHD;F1GTN750/650

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
OK, the page is "finally" finished. I've added easier-to-read buttons and have redone the lighthouse section so the SAK additions match what we had before. I changed out the "Cabin Reg & Rules" to "Bear Safety" which is more fun to read.  I put a better explanation for the page at the top, and now the "cork" background is visable to Internet Explorer users. (And if you are seeing the cork for the first time, you really should switch over to Chrome!).  It really is a pain to have to "recode" everything just because Internet Explorer (Windows) cannot keep up with the most basic HTML coding. Anyway, that is fixed.

D

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
Hi Doug,

It looks great!  Good job!

Rod