Author Topic: Plan G Question  (Read 12582 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Plan G Question
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
I've downloaded and am using Plan G for tooling around. Pretty cool! I'm just wondering, out of curiosity, why the older version of Plan G is the one RTMM supports and not the newer version? Can you explain the differences?

Also, I have another Plan G question: I fly in full screen mode, using the incredible DX10 enhancements, (on my system FSX runs much smoother in full screen mode under DX10), but even though I tell Plan G to stay on top, it refuses to so and I have to switch to windowed mode to use it. Anybody know how to force it to stay on top when running in full screen? Thanks.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Plan G Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »
Welcome to RTMM. First, Plan G. We use the older version because it displays the terrain in better detail and is tied in with google maps I believe. The newer version uses a different map source. Quote from Plan G creator, Tim Arnot: According to the author Tim Arnot:
 "Google Maps is not an option for ongoing development, for licensing reasons."

I don't use DX10 due to it not being recommended for use by ORBX with their scenery and other issues based on it not being fully functional in FSX. Others can add to this. But you can find out that DX10 was kind if an afterthought at the time ACES developed FSX so, it's not a feature set we support here.

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
DX10 runs beautifully on my machine and I have no trouble with any ORBX scenery. In fact ORBX just upgraded 2 of their freeware sceneries for full DX10 compatability. There's been a lot of  refinements made by 3rd parties that allow DX10 to run almost flawlessly and it IS, for all practical purposes, fully functional when properly set up. The only problems are a rare texture here and there that don't render properly. The fact that it runs at higher frame rates and smoother than DX9 makes the few oddities acceptable to live with. There is a very active and knowledgeable AvSim forum devoted to DX10 development. That Plan G doesn't sit on top of FSX while in full screen mode has nothing to do with DX10. One final comment: I haven't found any problems with any RTMM sceneries when running FSX/DX10.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spirit_66

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 03:01:20 AM »
......I don't use DX10 due to it not being recommended for use by ORBX with their scenery and other issues based on it not being fully functional in FSX. Others can add to this. But you can find out that DX10 was kind if an afterthought at the time ACES developed FSX so, it's not a feature set we support here....

Would be very helpful to know where ORBX recommend not to use DX10 and what issues occur.

My experience with FSX/DX10 is very positive and there's no important issue with any of my ORBX sceneries. I only have to notice that at 1S2 (Darrington) the smoke from a cottage comes out in the rhythm of the strobe lights.

@ualani
Your problem with Plan G has nothing to do with DX10. Why should it be on top of the screen with FSX on full screen mode? I recommend to use a second PC/Laptop for Plan G. It's easy to install and get the connection to FSX. With such a configuration you can always have a close look where you're flying. I myself use my oldest Laptop for this with Windows XP and Plan G V2 runs very well on it.

Otherwise you have to use the FSX in window mode.
Regards from Chiang Mai (VTCC) / Thailand

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
spirit_66,

What software do you use to run a second window on your laptop? I've had poor success and latency issues with a few applications that I've tried and gave up.

The reason I run in full screen mode is to eliminate screen tearing issues when panning in windowed mode due to vertical sync and refresh rates. (Part of setting up DX10 properly with NVidia inspector settings. Works great.)
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spirit_66

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
....What software do you use to run a second window on your laptop?....

You misunderstood. I don't run a second monitor. I run Plan G on a second computer using my old laptop. FSX runs on a new and strong PC. I don't have any experience with running a second monitor. It's easy to connect FSX with Plan G using WiFi and FSUIPC or SimConnect.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
Wow. I have no idea how to do that. Can you explain how to set that up? Thanks!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spirit_66

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »
 ;D Well, first of all you should have 2 machines which can see each other through WLAN.  ;D
On one machine runs FSX and on the other machine Plan G.
To customize Plan G for connecting to FSX you should have a close look to the Plan G manual. The descriptions are very good and detailed.
This link may also be helpful. http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=3.0

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the valuable info, I'll look into it!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
Ualani:

In my case, I couldn't easily obtain an old desktop or laptop, so a supplier sold me a, inexpensive little shoebox-sized computer to do the job.  It has a small hard drive, just the basic memory, and it uses the on-board video.  The point is, really, that there are a number of options available, so don't get fixated on any one method of doing the job.

The biggest point, however, would be that this is NOT some kind of wizardry, despite it sounding a bit strange to you at the first.  Like all of us, you'll possibly encounter a few small problems in getting this started.  But if *I* can put it all together without any big problems, then anybody can!  ;D

-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the new insight into DX10 and letting us know that RTMM scenery works well using it.

Much appreciated,

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on running Plan G on an external computer. I spent most of the evening figuring it out and got it working through FSUIPC and WideEye on my laptop. Pretty cool, but it took some head scratching at first.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spirit_66

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »
@ualani
Congratulations.  :D

Destroy

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
Bit OT but may be of interest or help to others...

I've seen pictures of PlanG with airport ICAC codes labeled next to all the airports. I have the older version of PlanG and can not figure out how to get the labels to show up next to the airports on the map. How?

spirit_66

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
......I've seen pictures of PlanG with airport ICAC codes labeled next to all the airports. I have the older version of PlanG and can not figure out how to get the labels to show up next to the airports on the map. How?

Sorry, no idea but you should have a look at the Plan G support forum.