Author Topic: The Map Room at Misty's Place mytopo map question  (Read 3722 times)

Destroy

The Map Room at Misty's Place mytopo map question
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
Not sure right forum....

So I'm starting to try to follow Trip Tickets. Trip Tics have many location names which I need to search out. Supposedly Mytopo finds these areas but that does not appear to be the case. Using Aiken Creek Trip as an example, I've searched Downdraft Lake AK, Seal Cove Rocks AK, Gravinia Island AK, Dall Head AK, nothing is ever found. What am I doing wrong?

Google maps is no good really as it doesn't show much for topo info at all.

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Re: The Map Room at Misty's Place mytopo map question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
Not sure on the answer, sorry.. but moved to the TripTics category so it might get eyes on it form someone that does know the answer. ;)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »
Destroy,
not certain of what "Mytopo" is but Google shows it to be a mapping program of some sort.  Be advised that most of the locations in RTMM are not real life geographical locations they are fictional and as such will not show on a mapping program.  If a location is mentioned in the Trip Tic it most likely is one from RTMM and is available in the scenery download page.  If it is not installed in your FSX RTMM scenery then you will not see it while flying the Trip Tic.  To successfully fly the Trip Tic be sure you have the various RTMM scenery locations installed.  With the scenery installation files there is always a flight plan to the location.  The fl. pln. will show you where that locations is in the scenery and in addition the  coordinates for every location in RTMM are in the Map Room accessed via Misty's Place in the top menu bar.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Destroy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
Mytopo comes recommended on this site. http://return.mistymoorings.com/mistys/#I

I do understand that most RTMM scenery is fictional but the locations that Trip Tics refer enroute to the scenery I assume are not?

2. At Vallenar Point, set a heading of 190 for 11 miles to Chasina Point ... the southern point at the entrance of Cholamandeley Sound ... after you make the turn, you will see Vallenar Bay to port on Gravina Island. ... you are now heading for the Prince of Wales Island, 10 miles ahead. ... you are flying over the Clarence Straight ... Chasina Point is the port entrance to Cholamandeley Sound. ... Skin Island passes about a mile to starboard.

3. At Chasina Point, set a heading of 199 for 4 miles to Hump Island. ... Hump Island is in the center of the Cholamandeley Sound about. Set a heading to fly over it. (Hump Island is not named in FSDiscover) however it is the first "humped" island you will encounter in the channel. After you make your turn, continue down this channel.

I did finally scroll all the way down on the Map page and find the Online Reference Maps so they helped alot.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
Do you have the program called "Plan-G"?  It is a moving map program that tracks with you as you fly, and it summons Google maps and Google Earth satellite and topo maps as you go.  With it properly installed, you will be able to find all the points at RTMM.  That's because they are imported into Plan-G with a file that is updated from time to time, and available on the site for your convenience.    ;)  8)

I have my Plan-G on a networked computer and follow my flights on it's monitor as I fly with my main computer.  It's connected to FSX via "WideFS".   8) 8) 8)

PS-Most or all of the places that you mention at the top of this thread are in the Ketchikan/Misty's Place area.  Gravina Island is where PAKT is at, and Downdraft Lake and Dahl Head are near Misty's.  When I first got here (virtual Ketchikan) I didn't know the names of anything.  It was funny for me just now, to read your post and I recognize most of the places you mentioned in the quote above.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:33:36 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Destroy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Yup, have Plan-G with the RTMM csv file installed but I purposely don't want to use it cause that is 'cheating' to me.  Whole point and fun to me is the exploring and adventuring aspect of finding these RTMM locations.

Like this post, would like to know how to get Air Hauler to recognize RTMM locations. That would be the ultimate I'd think.

Edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:45:12 PM by Destroy »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Your link above doesn't didn't work, but I know what you mean.  (it should go to the thread about the Air Hauler program). 

Use this one to jump there.
Here's the link --->http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=1482.0

I am thinking about giving that "Air Hauler" program a look.  It sounds interesting.  ;)

Edit - Ok, it's now 8pm.  I've "read up" on the Air Hauler program now.  Whew!  That sounds like work to me.  Managing a cargo company.  It's too busy for me.  I just want to fire up the engine and take off for who-knows-where.  In real life I work 10 hour shifts on my feet, come home and try to stay awake until bedtime.  (or at least until dinner)  Flights are usually a fight against sleep for me, which I often lose.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:07:29 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Destroy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Getting OT but if you want it to, Air Hauler can be more of a business management type program. Once you have done enough flights to hire another pilot and gained enough experience, you can just manage and let them do all the flying work if you want. Some AH guys have like 40 airliner planes and own dozens of airports. I've setup AH so that most of the flights are <50nm around PAPG Petersburg; I don't get tired as often then. (see below)

And I lol at the falling asleep. It's kind of like I get home excited to do a flight but after I eat and do my usual chore things then sit at the PC, my eye lids often don't last much more than 30min. Grrrrr...work and life gets in the way of fun too often.