Author Topic: Misty's Beaver  (Read 11957 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Misty's Beaver
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »
Oh shoot!  Did I really write that title? Well hang me for using double entendre!

Anyway... the more I play with beavers (Oh no!!! Not again? Perhaps I should stick to DHC2s?)...

Start again. The Aerosoft Beaver comes with something like fourteen different mdl files and numerous different interiors and pilots to mix and match.

After much messing around, I realise that each mdl technically needs its' own paintkit. For instance it is not always the right wing strut that floats free of the airframe. On a wheeled model you can see that the left strut leaves a gap to the fuselage...

That means that any paint job I am hosting on my site or showing here will not necessarily match when you try it on a different version. The same goes for different interiors or trying your own face on the "Russian" pilot (use any other pilot texture to correctly align mouth, nose, eyes, chin) - and so it goes on.

So, dear friends, if we decide on a Misty-specific DHC2, can we agree on one specific model in all configurations, i.e. Amph1, 2, float, tundra, ski, standard wheel?

What we have in fuselage configurations are military (with loads of different protrusions on the roof), five seat, round rear window, single rectangular rear window, double rectangular rear window (8 seater tourorist bomber) and each one will need a separate paint - there's no copying files and simply moving the bits for the floats and/or wheels into visibility or not.

I think I could write a book on Beaver-skinning alone, never mind Eagleskinning... Oh buggrit! Done it again.

I'm off for a lie down. It's getting rather warm around here.

BTW... any lady bush pilots around. (Ooops!)
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Misty's Beaver
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
Needed one more "slot" to separate Amphib 1 and 2, but this will give us a start. If Amphib comes in high, we'll do another poll to split between the two.

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of fuselage model - once the "window/seating pattern" is chosen, then adding floats or tundra wheels is less problematic. I'm leaning towards the three-bladed prop, 8-seater version with two rectangular side windows and no military growths on the roof.
All the best,

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
I agree... beaver with no growth!   ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Wildbird

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
I definately prefer the three blade 8 seaters, but maybe any fuselage that has an equalent in both float and ski perhaps? To suit all seasons..

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »
Just two teasers today. It's Misty's beaver and evermore shall be so ;)

As you can see - she's still "masked up" for the paint trials.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:07 AM »
Here's another hi-res tease

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:45 AM »
Looks very nice indeed !
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:41:41 AM »
Actually green is my least favourite colour (says he with 17 years in a green unifotm :D ) but that "baby-poo" green of the cockpit interior metal shows this Beaver's heredity - Misty bought it out of army surplus. And the bronze green leather upholstery was lying around spare, so I went to Amsafe and ordered more or less matching seatbelts and had the buckle anodised too.

;)
All the best,

AW032

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:40:16 AM »
WOW that Beaver is a piece of art  :)

Per

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
I want an interior like that, it looks terrific!

Mike Cameron

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
I agree, looking very good.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
De livery is finished, so I'd better see that delivery takes place. A different form of showing screen shots here by the way. Clickable thumbnails that open in a separate browser window. Here's a sequence from the delivery flight:

There's still something bugging me on the exhaust, plus some very minor niggles that I may or may not patch. Depends on the screams of agony from my fan club ;)

Anyone want it? It is for the Aerosoft Beaver Amphibian 1 i.e. the first Aerosoft Beaver folder in your menu structure in FSX simobjects airplanes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft Beaver Amphibian

There's a brief generic readme in the zip and you can get it by clicking here

Brad/Doug - help yourselves for the library.

A BIG PS TOO

Folks, before I go to bed and forget to tell you, look at the zip very closely. There is a separate "mini" folder tree containing the interiors and pilots textures.

The texture.cfg textfile in the texture folder calls a new set of interior textures by means of the "fallback". You will have to copy the files from the last folders in the tree to their respective folders in FSX.

If you are on a newer Windows it is easiest by

a. opening the zip file in windows explorer and then opening up subsequent sub-folders untill you drill down to the folder containing the dds files.

b. open up an new iteration of explorer and drill down through the tree to the SAME NAMED folder in the Aerosoft Beaver folder library. You will have to create two new end-folders in "interiors" - "pilot_skinner" and "mistyclean"

c. left click drag 'n drop the dds textures from the zip to the same FSX sub-folder .

Of course, if you don't want my interiors or my pilot figure, you will have to edit the texture.cfg or you will get black interiors.

Have fun.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:10:28 PM by One-Eye »
All the best,

Mike Cameron

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »
Love the repaint and interior, but had brain freeze moment last night.   Installed per instructions but aircraft did not show up in aircraft selection screen.   Spent the whole night looking at aircraft cfg and restarting FSX wondering what I could have done wrong.  Finally, I looked at the aircraft.cfg more closely and the texture reference was wrong.   I copied and pasted from the generic read-me which referenced a coast guard texture not misty, changed to correct texture of misty1a and problem solved.   It is always the little things that sometimes cause the most frustration.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »
Sorry about that, I tend to use a "generic"  text that works for all - as long as you modify the individual aircraft config.
All the best,