Author Topic: Trip Tic to Aiken Creek  (Read 4120 times)

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
Trip Tic to Aiken Creek
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
Just a big Thanks for the Trip Tics.   I read the one from Misty's to Aiken Creek first, then sized it narrow like alongside Plan-G on a second monitor before taking off.  It really added to the flight and I learned a lot about the names of things and such.  Great job!!   As I flew up towards Aiken Creek I suddenly got that sinking feeling that landing was the only option......that left turn and drop to the water was awesome!

On a side note, after landing at Dan's Hideaway the other day I thought it might be fun to fly back out of the cove and take the first right into a crease leading to Miller Lake and then into the Aiken Creek Arm.  Whooo Hoooo   what a ride!  Barely made it through that crease then did a 180 to come around toward Aiken Creek, only to make that last left turn to the landing.  What fun!!!    ;D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Trip Tic to Aiken Creek
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the Trip Tic ... they are fun to make. Got one more to do tomorrow then they are all done (of what is posted now).  I'll change them from time to time as I gather more information.  Now you can see what the "library" is all about. When we get a good reference, we stick it in there so we can get more information like it.  If you see errors in them, let me know.

Doug

Dragnhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:41 AM »
Thanks, will do Doug.  I'm going to take each Trip Tic and fly it from start to finish.  Should have a good knowledge of the entire area after that, besides the pure enjoyment of ORBX PFJ and Misty's scenery.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »
Rob, are you using FSDiscover!  ?   Just curious.  Also, as I said, you may well find an error here and there. I'd love for people to point those out to me, or "difficult" turns they didn't understand well, etc. Throw the comments at me over in the Trip Tics thread.  I'll make corrections as you go through them.  Don't rush it, though.  I have one more to do today, then I have one for each of the scenery locations.  Another thing, I don't necessarily fly the "Plan-G" map/plan that comes with the scenery package.  I try to find a "way" to the location flying at 1200 or 1500 feet.  That means you have to go back into the scenery and make a bunch of tough turns, rather than flying over it. 

Hopefully, we'll have "something" for "everybody" when we are through with this. Lots of different ways to have fun.  One fellow has written me saying that he's using Naturally Speaking's (FREEware) program to "listen" to the Trip Tics.  I got the program and tried it, kind of cool. I bet if you could spend the $49 for the "real" program it would be much better. Than one you can put "pause" symbols into the text and it stops until you give it a "go ahead" signal. (But I'd rather buy an airplane or something!)  Now that I'll have them all done (by this afternoon), I'm using Natural Speaking to go through each one ... word for word to make sure I've got errors cleaned out. It is a great way to "check" yourself.  Again, FREEware, pretty neat.  I tried it on a couple of them and it is a great error checker.

Doug

Dragnhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »
Not using FSDiscover but I've been tempted over the years to give it a go.  Since I started with Aiken Creek, I'll go in alphabetical order and explore them all using the Trip Tic.  I'll be sure to post in the proper forum if I see anything amiss, or just a suggestion to make it better, if possible.   :D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:42 PM »
Rob ... download the rtmm.dat file (From Faq on "F" FSDiscover!).  Just take a look at the datapoints I've got in there. That's just for our area ... and I've just now begun on BC.  If you like to know the names of the turns, it is a terrific program.  I try to add 10-20 waypoints a day.  Now that I've got it working smoothly again, I'm going to also re-fly the trips and this time add waypoints to the rtmm.dat file.  Anyone with FSDiscover would be flying KNOWING the names of things, instead of "turn left at the next mountain on your right".  Right now I'm going to focus on the waypoints "on the way" to our locations.  Was working the Sandspit area today, working Stewart to Elliot Firebase tomorrow.

Again, let me know if you see any problems along the way.

Thanks for your help.
Doug