Author Topic: Google Earth RTMM Locations for Plan-G - (by Jurgen Schmidt)  (Read 10842 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Google Earth RTMM Locations for Plan-G - (by Jurgen Schmidt)
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
All ...

Jurgen Schmidt, the fellow who placed all the missing cabins for Tongass X back with 2004, has re-entered the Flight Sim stage with FSX and he's here with us at RTMM. He recently contacted me and asked if we would be interested in hosting any files he might make that would allow us to use the Google earth "kmz" files for RTMM locations in Plan-G.

I must admit, I knew nothing about this process, so I had to climb up another learning curve (I'm getting used to that with all the innovative folks we have at RTMM). So we decided to give it a try.  I put a 'beta' area up in the Map Room (Misty's Place) right under Dieter's Corner.  Here's a place where you can try out what Jurgen is doing and see how the Google Earth locations "look" in Plan-G. 

Dieter and Brad assure me this is a "separate" process that will not interfere with anything Dieter has made for us.  It works with Version 2 of Plan G which is the one we are supporting at RTMM. If you go to Misty's Place and the Map Room, look below Dieter's Corner and you'll find the Google Earth Plan-G Beta table. Follow the instructions there to give it a try.

This looks like it could have possibilities for some people. At present, Jurgen has only done mostly the helipads in CIRP .. this was just to see what things would look like for us.

So give it a try and see what you think, then post any comments on it here in this thread to guide us toward the future.

Doug

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: Google Earth RTMM Locations for Plan-G - (by Jurgen Schmidt)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
That is a great idea!!!! I just gave it a try.
I love the possibility checking out the RTMM locations and then watching the pictures put in Google Earth there. So we can easily learn about the beauty of nature and wild life of the real world where RTMM locations are. And of course, you can use all the other features Google Earth offers.

Many thanks to Juergen Schmidt for his efforts. Great Job!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
Since I don't use PlanG.Will the RTMM kmz files you are referring to work,just by adding them to google earth?.
Such as the kmz files that come with the ORBX regions and addon airfields.

Thats what I'm using to find my way around,going from point A to point B etc.So my google earth currently doesn't have any kmz files added,other than the ORBX and OZx kmz files.

I'll re-phrase my question,about those that don't use PlanG.Will there be a standard kmz file for use in google earth for the RTMM areas only.Nothing to do with PlanG?.

I went to the beta page that was mentioned.The one at the bottom,is a single kmz for CIRP.The ones above were/are kmz files to use with PlanG thru google earth etc.

GrayRider
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:24:47 PM by GrayRider »
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

Doug

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »
If you don't use Plan-G, then this probably would be of no value to you.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
Hi George,
     Yep, the kmz files are Google-earth compatible.  You can just double-click the kmz file and Google earth will open up, and zoom in to the exact location.  8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

rpowers46

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
I am using PlanG3 and I  and when I click om KML I don't get the option to "An Entry Box will appear that says: Display Google Earth KML / KMZ. In the entry line at the top, copy the following url and paste it into that entry box. "Any suggestions?Thanks,Ron

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:38 AM »
See if you can get PlanG2.   I'm not so sure this kmz function works in the new PlanG3.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
Ron
We can only recommend V2 of Plan G. On our FAQ page for Plan G we state:

--------------- Statement from the FAQ Page
We Recommend Plan-G v2.0.5 is best for VFR Flying (Not the new Version 3.0)
Get the "old" V2.0.5 version HERE (Active Link on FAQ Page)
---------------

We found V3 not to be compatable with our needs at RTMM. Many of us put in V3 only to have to go back to the V2 version, that's why we also put the link to the old V2 there. This may yet be another example. We are still beta with this project...still learning.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:20:05 PM by Doug »

rpowers46

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Thanks,I just uninstalled vers 2, 2 days ago.When I click on "HERE" nothing happens.Where can I get Ver 2?Thanks,Ron

Doug

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
Hi Ron ... that was a "quote" from the FAQ Page for Plan-G ... the "here" on the forum here was not active. the HERE on the FAQ page is active. Hope this helps, let us know.

D

rpowers46

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
Got it.Up and running.Thanks,Ron

Jürgen

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
Hi guys!

The kmz file I have created works with Google Earth (it is created with this software) and also with Plan-G V3. I use V3 because I have installed this version before I have read that V2 should be the best for RTMM.

I am not sure if there are much people who like a kmz file because Dieter creates files for Plan-G with Plan-G so the locations can be found with his files yet.

It costs much time to add all locations to an kmz file. I can use Dieters files to get the coordinates but they all must added manually. Also if I create them I will add information about the altitude the location can be found (not done yet with the small area for the CIRP locations).

It is fine to have the locations in GE too, to get an overview what can be found in this area but how many people like this? If I do this work for me I will share it, that's no problem but I can't do this in a short time because I have not the time to sit hours of hours on my PC every day...  ;D

So please let me know if there are people who like it to get kmz files for RTMM locations and which additional information can be interesting? In GE I can add free text for each location if wanted.
Happy rest of Christmas time for all!

Jürgen

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
I'd like to get kmz files for google earth,for the RTMM addons of the airfields and float docks.I do get lost once in a while.

I don't use Plan G

Thanks

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
I'd like to get kmz files for google earth,for the RTMM addons of the airfields and float docks.I do get lost once in a while.

I don't use Plan G

Thanks

GrayRider
(my opinion)  ;)
Don't take all the fun and challenge out of it.  There is a sense of accomplishment when you find the place, by directions alone, or a brief description jotted down on a scrap of paper that you followed.  We are spoiled by GPS and flightplans, with our computers and GE/Plan-G.  I do appreciate the kmz files, and Plan-G when I am building a mission.  I am just saying that there is value in the "exploration" and "discovery" of the flights that should not be forgotten.  That's all.  ???

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P