Author Topic: "The Cabins" Page Revamp and Missing Cabins & Shelters Additions  (Read 7592 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
The Missing Cabins Project is now Complete.

We revamped the USFS Cabins page so that now all of the cabins and shelters are listed in alphabetical order by area. This matches the list of cabins and shelters at the USFS page (except ours are alphabetical). There are now almost 100 cabins and shelters on the page! There are 4 structures purposely left off the list. These were structures that you could not fly to, out in the center of the forest.

We added 27 cabins and shelters to complete the USFS list. Brad Allen did 5 of these, Xavier Carre did a shelter (when putting in Yes Bay Lodge) and I added the rest of them.  All have landscaping, etc.

Data for each structure is available in detail (and we may add some more details in the future). For the RTMM cabins, each has a picture (of what you will see), a detailed Plan-G Map, a 1200 foot altitude flight plan (except where alternate altitude is indicated), and an FS plan.  The FS means "Flight Seeing" plan. This is for folks who want to leave the flying to the pilot. These plans are all autopilot friendly, winding you through the maze of mountains to get you to your destination. You can sit back and enjoy the ride. (However, when you get close, turn off the autopilot and take control, the approach are much to difficult for the autopilot).  Each location has a "structure latitude and longitude" and a "mooring point latitude and longitude ... with heading". So if you want to start at a cabin, you can use the mooring point data and by entering this into the MAP for FSX, you will find yourself positioned perfectly in front of the cabin or shelter, ready to go.

For those people using FSDiscover! there is an all new mistycabins.dat file that now includes all of the cabins on the Cabin Page. It will show up on your screen with an (MC) after the location so you will know that is the database from which it is coming. You can find that at the top of the Map Room or on the top of the Cabins page.

These were a lot of work, but a great project and a lot of fun to do. Now I can say I've flown every cabin we have. Some of them are in VERY beautiful places.  Because of all the details, I'm sure there are some minor glitches here and there. If you see one, let us know here and we will fix it.

If you are looking for a place to fly and the weather is VERY bad, you can always fly the "Cabins" ... beautiful country, difficult "targets" to find.

Attached are examples you'll see with the RTMM Cabin Additions ... Mt Rynda Cabin and the route to Pybus Bay.

Hope you enjoy the additions and the new Cabins Page. (Misty's Place/USFS Cabins button)

Doug
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:39:01 PM by Doug »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: "The Cabins" Page Revamp and Missing Cabins & Shelters Additions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
Thank you, Doug.  It's a thing of beauty.   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Fishbone

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »
Thank you Doug, for this great and hard work.
A very useful help.

Xavier

Handie

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
Thank you, Doug :)
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
At the moment I have all my RTMM scenery's installed.

Now I'm getting into the cabins and shelters.I've been reading the info in your forums topic about the cabins.

I am somewhat confused about installing the RTMM cabins/shelters,and the RTMM cabins that were missing.Is there a main RTMM added Cabins I need to download and install within the RTMM coverage areas,that were added by RTMM?.If so where is it?.I did download the RTMM missing Cabins folder.This folder only has the five missing RTMM Cabins in it.

I do have the three main Tongass_Fjords Cabins packages installed(Sitka/Admiralty/Petersburg-Wrangell Cabins).I do not have any of the Misty Fjords Cabins installed,that I can see in my scenery addons.I do have the USFS Shelters pack installed.It only has 2 Cabins in it.I know this pack has to be removed,because it is included in a new RTMM authored package etc.

So.I'm kind of in left field about the RTMM Mistys Cabins/Shelters,so I have all of them.

THX

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

Handie

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »
I do not know if I understand the question.
For the RTMM cabins, you must click on "RTMM Additions" that I circled in red.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:37:07 AM by Handie »
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »
Good Morning ...This is a complicated one, so it is certainly worth the explanation, thank you for asking.

Many cabins were added in the Tongass Fjords X package.  In the PFJ Service Pack 1, many more cabins were added for that area. So if you have Tongass and PFJ SP1, you have about 65% of the cabins already. Other 3rd party people have put more cabins in with "external" files that you can download from AVSIM, etc. Some of those have problems because the cabins they put in were outside the Tongass Area and in the PFJ area. The result was cabins out in the water and buried in the mountainside. I decided to fix that.  I took out all of those "3rd party" cabins ... and you should do the same. Once they were out, then I started putting in the cabins that were missing, and the result is the RTMM Missing Cabins.zip file. And as Handie has pointed out, you can download that at the top of the Cabins Page.

When we send you a folder, do not worry about what is IN the Scenery Folder ... all the bgl files, etc. They will only be understood by the developer who knows how they were put together. But this is a good one to explain so people can better understand what developers are doing and what the "bgl" files are in the scenery folder.

There were two shelters that RTMM put in that PFJ SP1 had not added. These were Nooya and Punchbowl shelters. We had an addon that added them (USFS_Cabins.zip). I put those two bgl files into this new folder.  Also, Brad had created 5 missing cabins ... we had those as separate downloads. With his permission, I added his cabins to this folder too. So you will see his cabins, Nooya and Punchbowl shelters and a missing cabins bgl. I put all the other cabins and shelters into the rtmm_missing_cabins.bgl. You can see what's in the "scenery" folder attached.

In the Readme that comes with the package, I mentioned there are THREE things which people must do to make this work:

==================================================================
NOTAM #1:  If you have installed Brad Allen's Missing Cabins, you must delete those from the scenery library.  They are:

Honker Lake Cabin
Salmon Bay Cabin
Salmon Lake Cabin
Sarker Lake Cabin
Sweetwater Lake Cabin

These 5 locations are now INCLUDED in this package, so you will still have Brad's work. Go into your scenery library and either uncheck them there or do a  “DELETE AREA” on each of them.

NOTAM #2 Also there are some third party “missing cabins” files that are offered by other people.  You should also uncheck those locations or delete them. If you do not, you will have double cabins in most areas.

NOTAM #3 If you have the “USFS Cabins” scenery folder (downloaded from RTMM), you must delete/deactivate that folder too. This includes Nooya Lake Shelter and Punchbowl Lake Shelter. Both of these are in the new “RTMM Missing Cabins.zip” file.

======================================================================

Many people have put in Brad's cabins, and many also put in the USFS Cabins folder that had added the Nooya and Punchbowl Lakes. Also many had put in Jurgen's TongassX Cabins.zip.  These are all the ones that must come out (or there will be duplicates).  There are two or three other "missing cabins" files out there on the internet that people might have put in ... if you have installed any of those, they must come out or you will have duplicates.

In summary ... If you have Tongass Fjords X, PFJ with Service Pack 1, and RTMM Missing Cabins ... then you now have a complete set of all the USFS cabins that are listed on the USFS website. All of them "work" are where they should be and are roughly the correct "kind" of structure. All of the cabins are documented on The Cabins web page with structure and mooring latitude and longitude, pictures, maps and 1200 autopilot flight plans.

I hope that explains what we are doing.  The key is, don't pay a lot of attention to what is in the "scenery" package. With all the flattens and other things we can have in there in many packages, it can become very confusing to even other developers who know what they are seeing. But DO pay a lot of attention to the README files ... that's where the "magic" happens for the users. If we get it "right" here at RTMM (and we do make a mistake here that we quickly correct), people won't have to worry about what is in that scenery folder if they follow the readme installation instructions. And when they put it in, if they follow the instructions ... it works ... (and if it doesn't, folks let us know and we fix it quickly).

Hope this helps
Doug
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:57:12 AM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
Owwww!  my head hurts trying to decipher all the info about cabins, missing cabins, Tongass X cabins, USFS cabins, cabins page etc. etc.   This is getting very complicated even when I'm in the loop with the development.  I fear that the ordinary users must also be scratching their heads a bit.
Right now in RTMM scenery downloads I see 18 files for cabins:

Big Lake Cabin
Bowser Lake Cabin
Burnett Lake Cabin
Darb Lake Cabin
Downdraft Lake Cabin
Eagle Lake Cabin
Gokachin Lake Cabin
Goose Bay Cabin
High Lake Cabin
Jordan Lake Cabin
Masset Lake Cabin
Mesa Lake Cabin
Mt. Matlock Cabin
Portage Bay Cabin
Quite Nights Cabin
Tremadoc Lake Cabin
Xaviers Cabin
Yaknoun Lake Cabin

As I read this thread it is my understanding that I need all eighteen of these downloads plus the new RTMM Missing Cabins file in my FSX installation. 
I need to remove the old USFS Shelters where the Nooya Lake and Punchbowl Lake shelters are now, and the download from Brad with the 5 cabins listed in Doug's post above. (I also have a staney creek cabin in that folder.)
If this is correct then I would have the 18 files listed here plus the RTMM Missing Cabins in my FSX.  All the other cabins in the area would come with Tongass X, and PFJ Service Pack 1.  Anything else could cause problems and are NOT supported by RTMM so should be removed from FSX.
Please correct me if this is wrong things are getting difficult to follow with the cabins IMHO.
 :o
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
The only cabins on The Cabins page are "official" (real) USFS Cabins from their web page here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cabins/cabinlist.shtml

The other ones that you are referring to are just little items we have put in here and there ourselves, not real, and just great places for folks to go to. Darb Lake Cabin, for instance is a scenery the Brad put in. We've added many little cabins here and there, but none of them have anything to do with the USFS cabins.  (If there is a "double" we need to know about it.).

In the Hollis Scenery, there is a USFS cabin that was there that Rod 'decorated' (nicely!).

So ONLY USFS cabins appear on THE CABINS page (except for Xavier's addition).  I've taken Brad's "Missing Cabins" OUT of the scenery page and added them to RTMM Missing Cabins.zip file. They were USFS cabins.

Our Scenery is mostly "fantasy" ... but I'm trying to keep the USFS Cabins page as real as we can make it. Every one of those structures actually exists. You'll never find a "real" Portage Bay cabin. That was one that I "dreamed up" when I was learning how to use Instant Scenery.  Quiet Nights, the same. Just a little place I like to go to to watch the sunset.  But these are not USFS.

Hope that helps

Doug
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:35:13 PM by Doug »

GrayRider

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
OH MY.

I'm really knee deep in alligators NOW!!.I don't think I'll be able to swallow all this cabin stuff,let alone installing it.

I did download the RTMM File that has the five missing RTMM Cabins.Reading Spuds reply.Where do I get the 18 cabins he is listing and do I have to download them one at a time,that are part of the five missing Cabins I just downloaded?.

Since I'm starting over,and I'm now done installing the scenery's and boat runs.I'm adding a screenshot of the only Cabins Packages I have installed.
Looking at the new USFS Cabins page.I do see at the top,different cabins packages and the coverage areas etc.I don't know how these apply,and where the package's dowloads are?.
The screenshot will show the only packages I have installed related to cabins etc.I know I'm going to need a lot of assistance with all this Cabin stuff.

I think I'm going to have a very long day today with this cabin stuff.

GrayRider

Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

Doug

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
All of those cabins are on the scenery page ... they are "not real" so they are not included on The Cabins page which is USFS cabins only. 

Just download the cabins on the scenery page like you do all the other sceneries ... they are individual locations and have nothing to do with the USFS cabins.

Doug

Dieter

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
- In the Tongass X manual, page 36-37 you'll find all cabins included in Tongass X software.
- In "FTX PFJ Coverage and Features Map SP1.kmz" for Google Earth you'll find all US Forest Service cabins included in Orbx PFJ.

These cabins will be in place after  installing the sceneries.

All other cabins come with RTMM software.

@GrayRider
The cabins in your screenshot
- TongassX-Admiralty-Island-Cabins
- TongassX-Petersburg-Wrangell-Cabins
- TongassX-Sitka-Cabins

come with the Juergen Schmidt software "TongassX-cabins_1.0.zip" and are no more part of the supported RTMM cabins.
(You don't have to delete them, but some of these cabins do not fit with Orbx PFJ, so they are in water. This could be changed by using "Instant Scenery")

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
I added some installation instructions on the USFS Cabins page they, I hope, helps clarify this too (taking from Dieter's post here and adding it).

D

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Got it all sorted out by deleting the old cabin files as specified and installing the new RTMM cabins scenery.  I do have:

TongassX-Admiralty-Island-Cabins
- TongassX-Sitka-Cabins

.....but, I'll leave them alone and go in with Instant Scenery and make any moves needed to the objects.  Need the practice anyway!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

GrayRider

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »
Got it all sorted out by deleting the old cabin files as specified and installing the new RTMM cabins scenery.  I do have:

- TongassX-Sitka-Cabins

.....but, I'll leave them alone and go in with Instant Scenery and make any moves needed to the objects.  Need the practice anyway!

As Dieter& Dragnhorn mentioned.I'll leave these installed:

TongassX-Petersburg-Wrangell-Cabins
 TongassX-Sitka-Cabins

I don't have any experience with and using Instant Scenery,fixing the cabins that may be in water or wrong locations in any of the three packages,so to speak.

As far as the RTMM cabins.I will install the one I downloaded with the missing five cabins.Of the other 18 that Spuds talking about.I'll download those from from the main scenery downloads,as Doug was saying.

I know this may be a no no.Could I have one RTMM Cabins Folder
with a scenery and texture folder in it,and dump all 18 cabins contents into the one new Cabins folder.So I'm activating one RTMM Cabins folder.Rather than activating 18 cabins,one at a time?.

GrayRider